Lost Lake Overnighter 8-9 August 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lost Lake Overnighter 8-9 August 2015

Post by sekihiker »

I had a very interesting week thanks to the fire on the south flank of Spanish Mountain. On Monday, August 3, I left the Maxson Trailhead (Courtright Reservoir) for a four day trip that would take me through Bench Valley. I had passed through smoke between Dinkey Creek and the Courtright turnoff, but it seemed to clear the closer I got to the trailhead. As I headed up the trail, my nose started running, my eyes started burning and I began to develop a headache. By the time I reached upper Long Meadow, I knew it was time to turn around. I couldn't see the sky and the air had a pinkish tinge. I decided to go out on the ridge south of the Hobler Lake turnoff and sure enough there was a lot of smoke in the air.

I returned home and moped around for a few days. My wife kicked me out on Thursday, August 6, and I headed up to Cedar Grove/Roads End. I thought it would be fun to spend a little time on the Monarch Divide. I got to the Kings River overlook and found the Middle Fork Kings completely filled with smoke. Quite a bit of smoke had drifted up the South Fork Canyon, too.

I headed back home and thought it might be fun to hike to the Boole Tree on my way back. I got to Stump Meadow and found the road had been washed out by recent storms so I had to turn around without reaching the Boole Tree trail. I decided to stop in at the vistor center in Grant Grove and see if I could get a permit to hike out of Marvin Pass. I got a pass for a four day trip but had to return home to tell my wife about my new plans. When I got home, my wife told me she needed my help the next Monday, so if I wanted to go out it would have to be an overnight trip.

Saturday, August 8, I left for Lost Lake from the Marvin Pass Trailhead. I spent a delightful morning hiking with a couple of glampers from the Sequoia High Sierra Camp. They asked me what was the prettiest lake in the area and I told them Lost Lake, the place where I was going. I was a little surprised that they wanted to make the 16 mile round trip, but I learned that they had recently climbed Mt Kilimanjaro and spent time the previous summer hiking in Patagonia. Fortunately, they loved Lost Lake and thanked me for talking them into going there.

On my way out on Sunday, August 9, I took more than 250 photos of flowers and found at least two species new to me. I got to the Marvin Pass trailhead and met a couple of women who had just completed a seven day trip to Colby Lake. I asked them if they had read my trip report for that area at sierrahiker.com. One of them said she thought she had, then asked, "Are you the guy who hiked 25 miles from Colby Lake to this trailhead?" I said, "I can't imagine anyone doing that. There's all that sand between Ferguson Creek and Comanche Meadow. That would be brutal."

I got home and read my trip report at http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... index.html and found, yes, I was the guy who had done that 25 mile day. But that was 16 years ago when I was a 54 yo pup. I wonder what they thought after we parted ways. I can just hear their conversation in the car on the way back home. "Imagine that. That guy is really cheeky claiming he wrote those reports. Either he can't remember the hikes he's taken or maybe he's an impostor. Whatever, he sure is a flake."

Oh well.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Lost Lake Overnighter 8-9 August 2015

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for the entertaining read!
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

It's nice you finally set off down the trail after those setbacks. After as many hikes as you've done it's understandable you wouldn't recall in the moment one particular hike out. That's one long slog in a day (25 miles), at any age.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Another great read. Your site has led me to this site and has inspired many future trips for me. Thank you so much for your enchanting and concise trip reports through the years.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. Yes, the smoke was pretty bad this last week--I'd say it had a number of us functioning at well below 100 percent.

Regarding your 25 mile day, as one who has regularly done "death marches", dating back to the late 70's I have to say I've never done 25 miles with a full pack on, be it as a young 54 yr old pup or not. I think the most I've done with a full pack on is probably 18 mi or so (I think my longest full pack hiking day on my recent Gold at the End of the Rainbow trip was a hair over 13 mi).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Entertaining report and I admire your perseverance! I probably would have given up after so many attempts.

Lost Lake is indeed beautiful. Thanks too for the reminder that just because somebody is glamping doesn't mean I'm a stronger hiker than them. :p Guess I might also do well to assume that every elder statesman/woman who I pass on the trail these days used to pull 25-mile backpacking days! That's impressive no matter the age.