Moose Lake Lolipop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Moose Lake Lolipop

Post by Hillbasher »

After having made a quick trip to Moose Lake last September from Pear, I decided I wanted to go back and spend more time in the area. That trip ended up with one member being VERY unhappy with the cross country territory from Moose down to Alta Meadow. I will admit there were some navigation errors made, but that is another story.For this trip,we (myself and hiking partner Warren) had originally planned one night at Pear and two nights at Moose, but this changed when we came up with the idea of seeing some new territory for us.

The map of what we ended up doing
I got to Lodgepole about 1:30 PM on Sunday and picked up the permit. Warren was supposed to be there around noon or so and if we didn't see each other, we would meet somewhere between Wolverton and Pear late that afternoon or evening. I didn't see his car at the trail head, but then I wasn't sure I would have recognized it if it had been right in front of me. One thing to remember about us is that Warren is a 62 year old retired teacher in great shape that out hikes my ass without trying even on my best day. He gets out a lot, and it shows. Myself, a 60 year old fat, out of shape person that never hikes as much as he should to even come close to keeping in shape. I hike because I enjoy it, not caring how long it takes me to get there.

Alpen glow on trees and rocks before getting to Pear Lake
Got to Pear just at it got dark, and got up to site #2, hoping Warren would be there, as we had stayed at site #1 last Septmber, and thought that would be the first place he would head trying to meet up if he was there. No such luck, so I pitched the tent and made dinner of sirloin burgers with cheese and onion slices that hit the spot to perfection. After dinner I went over to the bear box to put things away and noticed a light below me by the lake outlet. It was Warren finally pulling in at almost 11 PM. He had gotten a late start from home and did most of the hike to Pear in the dark.

Monday morning at our Pear Lake camp site(Warrens Pic)
Pear Lake with Alta Peak in background(Warrens Pic)
Last September we went up through this. which wasn't bad------
But this time we went left around the highpoint on the right sky line and it was MUCH easier.
We didn't know it at the time this was taken, but we would eventually end up coming down this drainage.
We ended up going up the right hand side of these slabs, and they were as steep as they look with a full pack on.
Anyone that has been from Pear Lake up to Moose knows what this is.

Me looking out over Moose Lake at one of the best views in the Sierras, the Great Western Divide.(Warrens Pic)
One of the finest views in the Sierras. What would the cost be to have this the view looking out your backdoor or kitchen window. Couldn't
put a price on it if you had to.
After checking out numerous places, we decided on here for Monday nights camp. By this time I was one worn out old ----er. (Warrens Pic)
Moon coming up over Moose. While not totally full, it was damn close. The reflection off the lake once it got later was something to behold,
like diamonds sparkling. (Warrens Pic)

Warren always calls me a hobo camper because I like to spread my stuff out when I get to our destination. I just think of it as liking to be able to see what i have with me. What do you guys think? LOL (Warren's pic)
Don't let appearances fool you. He may be 62, but he can hike your ass into the ground, trust me. LOL
Starting Tuesday morning we were on new territory for the both of us. Had a blast dropping down the outlet of Moose Lake to an area that had lots of water. Took a little while to figure out the best way down, but once we decided on a way, it was made more fun with having full packs on. The incredible views seemed never ending.

This used to be my youngest sons favorite band, so I take the bandanna along on trips to show him where he could be if he had the interest.
Just freaking incredible stuff. You can't see it, but the drainage drops off down towards Table Meadow in front of me, and the fun part of the tripis aboout to begin. Open downhill cross country, what more can you ask for?(Warrens Pic)
Down below Table Meadow. Will be going back, hopefully in the opposite direction next time.
ImageImage
Yours truly at our last night camp site. We were just below a saddle that was above the Pear Lake Ranger Hut. Perfect placement for out last nights camp site.

Westward view Wednesday morning, before heading off to the cars.
Warren heading down to the Pear Lake Ranger Hut on last day of the trip. Felt like once we were back on a trail, the trip was closer to being over.
i just want to say that I realize to most of you on this board, this trip may seem pretty tame, but it was one i enjoyed to the point I will never forget it. Sometimes it isn't about how hard or easy a trip is, or how steep or flat it was, but just the total experience. Enjoy your hikes, because one never knows which one will be their last. Peace.
Last edited by Hillbasher on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Moose Lake Lolipop

Post by freestone »

I don't know, you guys look pretty you to me! Nice loop in an area I have never been to. See any fish?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Awesome report! I was there a few weeks ago, and the superlative views of Moose with the Great Western Divide are fitting. Also, my dad and I are ones to take the whiskey as well, we find it a little more entertaining than Ibuprofen :nod: And if I'm not mistaken, that's an Osprey Volt pack, a great one indeed!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you for posting your first TR and nice pictures, especially the Moose Lake photo's. Tame trips are just enjoyable as difficult ones, both bring joy, and satisfaction in different ways, but the most important thing is that they both took place in the Sierra. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted

Post by Hillbasher »

freestone wrote:I don't know, you guys look pretty you to me! Nice loop in an area I have never been to. See any fish?

Saw lots of fish at Moose, but left my pole and reel in the car after having it in my pack and deciding the weight wasn't worth it. I was wrong, as I was mad at myself for leaving it. I talked to 2 guys at the trail head that had camped at Pear and day hiked to Moose taking their poles. They said not even a strike was had, but admitted to fishing around 1 or 2 PM , not the best times to be trying. When I go back, will have my fishing equipment with me.
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted

Post by Hillbasher »

cslaght wrote:Awesome report! I was there a few weeks ago, and the superlative views of Moose with the Great Western Divide are fitting. Also, my dad and I are ones to take the whiskey as well, we find it a little more entertaining than Ibuprofen :nod: And if I'm not mistaken, that's an Osprey Volt pack, a great one indeed!
Correct on both counts. Whiskey is without a doubt better than ibuprofen for what ails you. That is indeed a Volt 75. Bought it to trade off with my GoLite Quest 80 liter pack. Love them both.
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Hillbasher wrote:Correct on both counts. Whiskey is without a doubt better than ibuprofen for what ails you. That is indeed a Volt 75. Bought it to trade off with my GoLite Quest 80 liter pack. Love them both.
I have the same backpack, and must say I am in love with it. It was put to use on my trip to Moose last month. And again, beautiful report. I can't wait to go back and sip on some of the good stuff as the sun is going down with that view in mind. :drinkers:
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

moose is one of my favorite places. Just want to sit all night staring at the Sierra crest and the moon.

I'm surprised there were fish. that lake is on the fish kill list. It's full of little brookies - i never kept any of the ones I caught and haven't taken a pole again since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted

Post by Hillbasher »

AlmostThere wrote:moose is one of my favorite places. Just want to sit all night staring at the Sierra crest and the moon.

I'm surprised there were fish. that lake is on the fish kill list. It's full of little brookies - i never kept any of the ones I caught and haven't taken a pole again since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was definitely lots if fish feeding at sunset, breaking the surface to feed. Also quite a few of them getting some air.