TR: Bearpaw High Sierra Camp - 7/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Bearpaw High Sierra Camp - 7/22

Post by RodofJ »

My dad turns 70 this month, and has never been on an overnight hiking trip. He wasn't into sleeping on the ground, etc... so this was a good compromise. I planned for Crescent Meadow-Bearpaw on the first day, Bearpaw-Precipice Lake and back on the second, and then back to Crescent Meadow and drive home on the third day. My dad spent the last few months walking on his own and doing some long day hikes with me to get ready, especially for the second day.
Maybe five minutes on the trail and we saw this guy rooting around in a log:
Bear.jpg
Obviously the camp is different than being off by yourself. For what it is, it was awesome. Really nice people (both other guests and the staff) and just generally a great atmosphere. There is something to be said for ending a hike like this (minutes earlier there was a brownie on the napkin).
Porch.jpg
The next morning we started early (they made us burritos like two hours before they served the regular breakfast, and saved us dinner plates that evening, even though we didn't ask!). On the way to Hamilton:
ToHamilton.jpg
You can kind of see clouds off to the right. As we hiked up towards Precipice it looked pretty socked in. I wasn’t sure what, if anything, we’d be able to see once we got there. The trip was long, but my Dad was a trooper and we made it to the lake. The clouds came and went a bit, but it never really cleared up. I didn’t care; I was so happy and proud of my dad; it was a good lesson about the journey vs the destination. Or something like that:)
FoggyPrecipice.jpg
On the way down the clouds lifted a bit.
LeavingPrecipice.jpg
Once we were back at Hamilton it looked almost totally clear.
Hamilton.jpg
We got back to camp a little before dark, had some very good leftovers, and then headed out the next day. On the way out we got lucky; they were getting ready to blast a rock our of the trail; I’m guessing five or ten minutes later and we would have been waiting there for a while. I would have liked to have seen what this looked like afterwards.
TrailWork.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Bearpaw High Sierra Camp - 7/22

Post by Jimr »

very cool RodofJ. What a treat for both you and your dad.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice. Was it hard to get reservations at the camp ?
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted

Post by RodofJ »

The Other Tom wrote:Very nice. Was it hard to get reservations at the camp ?
I started calling as soon as they opened; I think this was the morning of Jan 2. I think they pretty much fill up right away. I was told cancellations aren't uncommon, so I'm guessing if you're flexible you can get in at a later date.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

RodofJ wrote:
The Other Tom wrote:Very nice. Was it hard to get reservations at the camp ?
I started calling as soon as they opened; I think this was the morning of Jan 2. I think they pretty much fill up right away. I was told cancellations aren't uncommon, so I'm guessing if you're flexible you can get in at a later date.
Thanks