Leaving gear at campsite while day hiking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Leaving gear at campsite while day hiking

Post by maverick »

Why not shoot over to East/Reflection Lake, see something different, just as beautiful, and since she has the stamina, it should not be an issue.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

maverick wrote:Why not shoot over to East/Reflection Lake, see something different, just as beautiful, and since she has the stamina, it should not be an issue.
Thats where I'm confused. I have to come out Onion Valley Saturday. I'll be arriving Onion Valley Monday around 5pm so that gives me Tuesday-Saturday to hike (5 days). I'd love to do Reflection and East Lake and maybe even Vidette Lakes but I've not been in that area before so I don't know a 5 day route. Any suggestions? My 1st night will be at Matlock, Monday night.
Just another day in paradise
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PM sent.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If I were in Yosemite and within a day's hike of a trailhead, I wouldn't trust anyone. I've heard of tents stolen from folks who base camp in Little Yosemite Valley to day hike Half Dome.

The farther we are from "bucket list" places (Half Dome, Whitney, Rae Lakes) the less I worry. I leave electronics in my tent if I'm, let's take for example, camping in Deadman Canyon. Near a bear box? nope. Too much traffic.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I've heard of tents stolen from folks who base camp in Little Yosemite Valley to day hike Half Dome.
That place can be worse then a front country campground, especially during the summer. :\

John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

rlown wrote:A friend lost his tennis shoes at the stables in Tuolumne.
I've heard of horses playing polo, but tennis? What????

Never had a problem with any gear being lifted, ever.

John
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Last Friday I talked with Ranger Cindy Wood at Roaring River.

She told me that there had been reports of food and gear stolen from bear boxes near the JMT/PCT.

Not trying to be alarmist - just passing it along.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Post by dbogey »

Thanks for eveyones quick replies. Time for Dad and Daughter to spend 5 days of quality time together before she heads off to College. I'll take everyones suggestions here and will be off trail so no concerns about gear going missing. I'll post a trip report, something I've not done on my last two Sierra excursions, maybe I'll write them up when I come back. If anyone is in the backcountry next week drop me a line, I'd love to meet other HST members.

Now just pray for good weather next week in the Rae Lakes area.

Dan
Just another day in paradise
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

I've never had a problem with anyone going through my stuff while day hiking. However, I do always take my valuables with me for piece of mind.