TR: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by oleander »

Unbelievable video, Michael!! The camera shake actually creates a cool effect - in places it seems like an animated film.

There are some things that just can't be captured statically in snapshots. (One of those things: Cresting PQC and getting that first view of what's down the other side.)

The music is nice, too. I was wondering how you were going to cover up all my yakking.

Worth its weight in gold, that GoPro.

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Very cool video Michael!

Oleander wrote:
There are some things that just can't be captured statically in snapshots. (One of those things: Cresting PQC and getting that first view of what's down the other side.)
Yes, it also would have been interesting to hear, what the first things would have been out of your mouths, when you had your first glimpse of the eastern side of Pants Pass, if you had not been stopped by the weather. :)

Everyone who attended the Meet-up, please PM your names and addresses, so I can mail you your HST sitckers and patches, that I was planning to give to you at the Meet-up. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Great video Rocky Road! It's probably good that the real time audio wasn't included because I remember some "oh $#!/" moments after seeing the north/west side of PQC :eek:
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

maverick wrote:
Everyone who attended the Meet-up, please PM your names and addresses, so I can mail you your HST sitckers and patches, that I was planning to give to you at the Meet-up. Thanks
HST patch on the island :nod:
hst patch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Just watched the video. Wow! Very well done. Great close up view of crossing the pass. And I like your choice of music with no voices. Much better than the typical Youtube hiking video.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Michael, that was a sweet video!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for the kind comments on the video. It was a lot of fun to create.

Bluewater, after reaching the top of the col, I also quickly went from elation (maybe a microsecond) to "oh $#!/" when I saw the other side. The microphone didn't pick anything up because I was probably too stunned to talk.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Thanks to everyone for the excellent trip reports, photos, and video (nicely done @Rockyroad )! Sounds like it was an amazing get together in a spectacular location
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Rockyroad wrote:Thanks for the kind comments on the video. It was a lot of fun to create.

Bluewater, after reaching the top of the col, I also quickly went from elation (maybe a microsecond) to "oh $#!/" when I saw the other side. The microphone didn't pick anything up because I was probably too stunned to talk.
That chute on the northwest side looked bad, and really was bad at the top. Fortunately Oleander led the way and seemed fine but I had to slide down some of the upper section. :eek:
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Hobbes, I believe I noticed that you carried an Ursack. Getting ready to do Shepherd and environs around Labor Day weekend for about a week or so. Trying to shave a pound or so. Do you use the optional liner inside the white bag? I want to compare total weights and volume with the Bearikades.