Where do y'all SHOWER after Tuolumne Meadows exit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where do y'all SHOWER after Tuolumne Meadows exit?

Post by maverick »

Russ wrote:
There is nothing worse than someone stinkin for 5 hrs to get home.
I thought that's what these were for: https://www.google.com/search?q=pine+tr ... 8EPSDqg%3D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah. that doesn't work. wash off and be civil. All the smelly stuff gets put in the back of the truck. for me, we go back over 207 from the east side on 395 to the bay via 50.

Only because we can stop on the "strip" and have a really good buffet in South Lake Tahoe. :thumbsup:

I don't do an exit west anymore on that 120 road. I hate it in fact. I like the 395 road completely.
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »

maverick wrote:Russ wrote:
There is nothing worse than someone stinkin for 5 hrs to get home.
I thought that's what these were for: https://www.google.com/search?q=pine+tr ... 8EPSDqg%3D
I thought that's what these were for.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

http://climber.org/data/showers.html

I do the jug of water, the creek, or hit a shower. All options work fine for me. Also most truck stops have really nice clean showers, they cost around $12 though.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

I'm a tomboy, but The Shower is a post-trip ritual on equal footing with The First Real Meal.

Remind me never to climb into a car with any of you after one of these trips. =;

- Elizabeth
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The whole reason to clean up at the trail head is to reduce the smell before you even can get to a shower or eatery. At least 40 mins just to get somewhere.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I used to take showers at the RV Park at the north end of Lee Vining that Dave mentioned, but the last time I tried to do that they told me they were only letting the folks that were staying there use the showers; so I just pulled down the dirt road along Lee Vining Creek and jumped in the creek.

The climber.org list should help, but cross the RV park in Lee Vining off the list. It mentions a couple places in Mammoth, but I've never taken a shower in Mammoth as I never want to deal with how busy that little tourist trap is.

The showers at Keogh's Hot Springs south of Bishop used to be really nice. They used to charge a few dollars for just the use of the showers - more if you use the pool, but I haven't been there lately.

The showers at Boulder Springs RV park south of Lone Pine are also really nice and just cost a few dollars.

There are a couple places in Big Pine - the Mobile Station is one of them.

You can take a shower at Convict Lake Lodge.

One of the gas stations in Independence has public showers - a separate building next to the gas station/subway sandwich shop.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

oleander wrote:I'm a tomboy, but The Shower is a post-trip ritual on equal footing with The First Real Meal.

Remind me never to climb into a car with any of you after one of these trips. =;

- Elizabeth
You'd be fine with me - manky clothes are the real problem, as 90% of the stench is embedded in them. I always have a clean shirt and jeans, and complete change of underwear, waiting at the end. The rest is easily handled by wet wipes. Water is just refreshing - and I like clean hair.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Some of us may be headed west, back towards Groveland, so all those east side suggestions will not work. If you bring a swim suit you can swim in any number of lakes en route. Or if on the east side, the Bishop public pool is a nice place to shower and have a swim too. I think it is $5.

I usually jump in the creek or lake every day on most trips, and wash my underwear every day after hiking and my hiking shirt every other day. I am a bit smelly but do not reek when I get out. I try to get really clean in a creek or lake, close to the trailhead the day I walk out. Then when I get out, I have several gallons of water in the car. It is usually warm simply from sitting in the trunk for days. I have a large bowl, pour in the water and wash my feet, legs, face, arms and discreetly wipe arm pits. Then put on clean clothes. I rarely have an "after trip" meal so do not worry about being presentable for walking into a restaurant. I usually just snack on left over trail food and have some munchies for the trip home. I would rather skip the restaurant stuff and have a good home cooked meal when I get home. The FIRST thing I do when I get home is have a nice long hot shower!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The cure is to daily jump in water regardless of how chilly or you wouldn't stink back at the trailheads.

Relative amount of body odor is of course mostly a genetic thing. Sure some people are major mosquito magnets oozing with foul vapors and a few others a bloodhound would have trouble tracking. I strongly dislike getting into my clean down bag if sticky, smelly, grubby so almost always take a dunk each day. Even at the end of week long trips my clothes don't have strong odors. Though my Levi 50s may indeed be dirty because am frequently sitting on the ground.