TR Yellowstone 6/29-7/2

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Yellowstone 6/29-7/2

Post by venturefar »

I apologize for being so late posting, but I've been home 8 days since June 13. When I was home it was just enough time to see friends and family, do laundry, and resupply.

I went to Yellowstone for the first time in late June. It was incredible. I regret not spending my 20's as a trout bum waiting tables or something in West Yellowstone.

My first day on the water we fished a tributary of the Gallatin just outside of town. The catching was great using cutter caddis, PMDs and green drakes. I caught mostly cuttbows, but I also managed to bring in two nice browns one taped out at 17" and the other was larger.

Another day we headed to the "Serengeti of North America" Lamar Valley. My buddy here on HST Drivefly44 has told me about how epic Lamar valley is ever since I have known him. The place completely lived up to the hype. Fishing with bison wandering by was truly awe inspiring. The Lamar was running like chocolate milk due to thunderstorms so I fished Soda Butte Creek instead. The fishing was great. big foam beetles and PMDs were the ticket. It's hard to believe there is such good fishing in view of the highway. I can't wait to go back next summer and spend a few nights in the backcountry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@aguabonita
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR Yellowstone 6/29-7/2

Post by maverick »

Nice trout! See any Grizzlies in Lamar, that is one of the main places to see them in Yellowstone?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Nice trout pics! Thanks for posting.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Nice! There is SO MANY places to fish in that area, it is indeed a trout angler's paradise. Thanks for posting on your trip.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;