Kingston Peak

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wingding

Kingston Peak

Post by wingding »

I did a day hike to Kingston Peak near Baker today. The hike is about 8 miles round-trip with 3600 feet elevation gain. Between the bushwacking, picking my way through the snow and then having to be really careful due to wet slippery shoes, and thinking about which way to go along the ridge it was a long hike. The ridge did make the bushwacking worthwhile though - I just love ridges. Here are pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2539743#133482706

Now that I'm done playing with my pictures I think I'll go to bed and sleep until noon tomorrow.
Sierragator
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Sierragator »

I've been wanting to climb Kingston, the report and pics help.
Therefore we are all, in some sense, mountaineers, and going to the mountains is going home."
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wow, cool to see that 1970 register entry from Cy! Did you e-mail (or pm) him about that?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Yes, I emailed Cy. He said the Thousand Peaks Section never got off the ground. It sure would take a long time to do 1000 peaks.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Oh, I dunno... three a day, John Muir style... just about a year, eh? :lol:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

This one is on my list too.

I think Sierragator can probably do a thousand peaks in no time!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

Yes, Sierragator probably could join the thousand peak club.

on kingston I found that it was usually better to stay pretty close to the ridgeline instead of dropping down on either side. I think that I lost a lot of time looking on each side for easier terrain and then finding that the ridgeline was best except for in a couple spots.