Bear canisters?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear canisters?

Post by maverick »

You can stuff about 10 days worth of food into one can if you pack it right.
10 days in a Garcia :eek: , that depends on how much you eat, no way I could get 10 days in one, not even 8 days with my metabolism. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

maverick wrote:
You can stuff about 10 days worth of food into one can if you pack it right.
10 days in a Garcia :eek: , that depends on how much you eat, no way I could get 10 days in one, not even 8 days with my metabolism. :(
:thumbsup:

Same here. There are two kinds of backpackers. ;)

1. Backpacking causes a lack of appetite especially at the beginning of trips. In fact these same people often have a hard time sleeping even though they are dead tired after a long day of hiking. Their food supply is mostly neatly packaged "backpacking food". with a few snack foods tossed in. Yeah I have mini Snickers bars. One for each day.

2. Backpacking and otherwise any strenuous outdoor activities tends to make them hungry lions able to wolf down a horse. When dusk skies drop they are quickly sound asleep in their warm bags. Some fill their food containers with lots of snacks and candies and all manner of stuff they actually don't usually eat at home.

#1's near end of their trips often can't wait to get back to civilization and often cut their trips short for that reason. Back in town first major stop is for a major pigfest at a restaurant.

#2 look at their food supplies near the end of their trip and announce what they have left to others in the group. Then the others feast on their big Ziplock bag full of cookies and whatnot they had not yet eaten. Back in town they too go to a restaurant but its just a little red meat fest before hitting the road.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm number 1 except I rebag everything. I don't use freeze dried pre-packaged stuff. No snacks except some sort of trail mix, but I often find I have too many almonds and cashews left at the end. after a few days, I start eating just to lighten the load. After breakfast, I can go all day without eating, but I will occasionally snack while resting.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I don't like to be compartmentalized. It varies from trip to trip. Thought this was about bear can size/rental? 10 days in a garcia works quite well. I can get 15 days into my 12" bearikade.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Russ wrote:
10 days in a garcia works quite well. I can get 15 days into my 12" bearikade.
Darn Russ, you must either have a slow metabolism, or a bird size stomach. :lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Jim wrote:
After breakfast, I can go all day without eating, but I will occasionally snack while resting.
Must be those exotic chilies you bring. :unibrow:

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

or maybe, i fish? :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

or maybe, i fish? :p
No wonder that you are so adamant about your requirement, that their has to be good fishing at any location you go, otherwise you would starve. :)

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Chilis and a 1/2 pint of gruel and I'm set for the night. That's why I can pack my poop out with no problem. There isn't much. TMI? :moon:
Last edited by Jimr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

In fact, I think those Garcias should be open able at both ends. One end for incoming food and one end for outgoing food. Food container and port-a-potty all in one.