What happen to our adventure spirit?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What happen to our adventure spirit?

Post by balzaccom »

maverick wrote:balzaccom wrote:
Amen, brother!
That's, Amen, sister! :nod:
My apologies, And thanks for the correction.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

balzaccom wrote:
maverick wrote:balzaccom wrote:
Amen, brother!
That's, Amen, sister! :nod:
My apologies, And thanks for the correction.
no worries. It happens in real time, occasionally. (Accusations of my being dainty once busted up a room full of SAR guys....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The coolest spots and scenes I unexpectedly stumble upon are by far the best thing about a trip. Keeping expectations at a minimum, and to not be so attached to schedules is when you are truly as free as you can be :nod: Its like finding a hidden treasure.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think you all are being too judgmental. Each person has his own threshold for "adventure". What may be boring for one, is a real adventure for another. Adventure is not a specific rating, risk, uncertainty or difficulty - it is what is in your mind/head. Some people even have "adventure" WITH planning and reduction of uncertainty. Personally I am NOT an adrenaline junkie, even though I have done over 40 years of alpine climbing. Real "epics" are sweeter in afterthought (memories) than when it is actually happening! I try to make the summit, safely, without "epics". I have done many first ascents over the years and backed off plenty of climbs and have had plenty of adventure- some that I sought, many that I would really have preferred to have avoided.

Some of my trips have been specifically for adventure and exploring; others I have a specific objective (such as getting to the meetup- which by the way, I missed everyone by a few hours). I appreciated the detailed route information that someone here put up for the "ledge" route to Keweah Basin. I knew I could make it 100%, even in rain. Given that I really wanted to get to the meetup, it was good to know this.

Although there is a lot of route information on the internet, you have to be very careful - lot of bad information; a bit of accurate good information. If you think there is too much information, just do not look at it and have your "adventure". Do not criticize others for using information. And do not think that they are not having and adventure just because they use information. By the way, I take all information with a grain of salt! Similarly, although I only use paper maps (no GPS, no SPOT), I certainly will not say that those who do are having less of an adventure than I am.

I challenge the idea that to risk reduction reduces the adventure. I bring a rain jacket, to reduce the risk of hypothermia. Would I have more of an "adventure" if I did not bring it? Suffer and live through it means more adventure? I research routes to reduce risk, such as knowing the possible route variations and "bail out" points.

If someone's primary goal is not adventure, fine with me. Hike your own hike. Let others do the same.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

It's rare but if you ever go to Tunamah there are only 2 places to camp and they're almost on top of one another.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Although there is a lot of route information on the internet, you have to be very careful - lot of bad information; a bit of accurate good information. If you think there is too much information, just do not look at it and have your "adventure". Do not criticize others for using information. And do not think that they are not having and adventure just because they use information. By the way, I take all information with a grain of salt! Similarly, although I only use paper maps (no GPS, no SPOT), I certainly will not say that those who do are having less of an adventure than I am.
I don't think the criticism is about the information available or the use of it. Seems to be more about what is asked for to fill in every step of the way to get from point A to point B.

While you and most who have done it for years can sift the information and avoid bad (grain of salt) information, some can't.

Besides, most who should read this thread won't. They'll just ask for the explicit details. Guess that's why everyone's here. The question in my pea brain is how much do you tell people beyond "start here, go there".
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There's a great difference of perception at work - I think the spirit of adventure is there in every backpacking class I take to some lake I've been to a dozen times. The students absolutely feel like they are deep in the wilderness having an adventure in places I day hike to and get home from before sundown. It's an adventure for them, because it's not familiar.

I started at that place quite a while ago. Eventually, my sense of adventure broadened to off trail passes and nine day outings, from which I come back feeling like I could easily keep hiking for longer. Adventures are a progression, not a sudden leap into the unknown, for me. I have done enough that I can plan long trips to places I have never been with adequate confidence and return not only in one piece but having avoided a death march or even blisters. That doesn't require exhaustive knowledge of the area, but of my own limitations and comfort zones.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

maverick wrote:I understand that their are some people who enjoy plotting out their routes
Wait...You mean to tell me, that crazy route you took me & jimr on last year, the, uh, unconventional way to Catherine Lake...That route wasn't thoroughly mapped out, examined, vetted in advance? It was IMPROVISED? :paranoid:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wait...You mean to tell me, that crazy route you took me & jimr on last year, the, uh, unconventional way to Catherine Lake...That route wasn't thoroughly mapped out, examined, vetted in advance? It was IMPROVISED? :paranoid:
Nope, I looked at the map, and then improvised. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

^^^ :thumbsup: ^^^ And there's the rub.