Happy Camp/Six Rivers/ Marble Mountain Fire Damage

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
edgertik
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Happy Camp/Six Rivers/ Marble Mountain Fire Damage

Post by edgertik »

Hi All,

I'm planning a 6-7 day backpacking trip in August, and I was all set to do a loop starting at Lover's Camp and heading towards Sky-High Lakes, Cliff, and Campbell in the Marble Mountain Wilderness (MMW). After remembering the fire damage last season, and then looking at the fire reports listed earlier (link below for reference), I was wondering if anyone has been up there to check it out this summer?

I see that the fire map shows that the fire just reached over the ridge toward the Sky High lakes, but that the high up from Lover's Camp and Campbell and Cliff lakes remained un-scorched. I've wanted to check out the Marbles for some time now, and I basically want someone to talk me out of MMW and into the Trinity Alps if it's a wasteland out there.

Any news, first hand accounts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Happy hiking,

Walter
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Happy Camp/Six Rivers/ Marble Mountain Fire Damage

Post by maverick »

Hi Walter,

Welcome to HST!
According to the Ranger Station, conditions are fine at Sky High Lake, Lover's Camp, Cliff and Campbell Lakes, no fire damage, or residual smoke, but they did say, that smoke from the areas south of their jurisdiction is impacting visibility some days, but it depends on the wind direction on any given day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org