Request a 2-nighter trip in Sierra that have lake camps

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Request a 2-nighter trip in Sierra that have lake camps

Post by maverick »

My humble opinion is, food is more delicious when you are hungry, scenery will feel better if it come at a price.
Well said. Glad to read, that things are leaning more your way Terry. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markley »

Glad things are coming together for you!! Sounds like we are looking at the same area for the same time frame. I reserved permits for Shadow Creek as well.
SSSdave wrote:Although 20 Lakes Basin is a superb scenic destination with easy hiking, it is also very popular with both dayhikers and backpackers without reserved permits so one will not have much privacy having to put up with other people and groups. In any case a good backpack choice without complications. You cannot get a reserved permit for that area but rather only via walk-up permits at either the Mono Lake Visitor Center or the Tuolumne Meadows Backcountry Office. David
Funny you should mention 20 Lakes Basin Dave..i've been debating between hiking to Ediza from Shadow Creek vs. this route: Saddlebag>Upper McCabe lake>Roosevelt Lake>Young Lake>Tuolumne (hitching back to saddlebag)
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

pick a route already! :) Do it and you'll be happy.
sky00high
Topix Acquainted

Post by sky00high »

markley wrote:Glad things are coming together for you!! Sounds like we are looking at the same area for the same time frame. I reserved permits for Shadow Creek as well.
Wait what? You reserved shadow creek "as well"? Aren't I suppose to reserve Robinson Creek for Crown lake or Green Creek for East Lake? Hopefully I didn't reserve the wrong trailhead Orz....

EDIT: Don't mind what I just said. I am an idiot.
Last edited by sky00high on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sky00high
Topix Acquainted

Post by sky00high »

rlown wrote:pick a route already! :) Do it and you'll be happy.
Haha, true true. I think my plan is start coming into some shape. I think I will do 1000 islands lake as first choice. But since there is high possibility I can't get permit, I reserved Robinson Creek for Crown Lake as well. East Lake will be my third choice.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

sky00high wrote:
markley wrote:Glad things are coming together for you!! Sounds like we are looking at the same area for the same time frame. I reserved permits for Shadow Creek as well.
Wait what? You reserved shadow creek "as well"? Aren't I suppose to reserve Robinson Creek for Crown lake or Green Creek for East Lake? Hopefully I didn't reserve the wrong trailhead Orz....
Sorry for the confusion, i thought you said you had snagged a reservation at Shadow Creek.

Haha..i hear ya about trying to pick a route!! I have so many that I'd like to try to do while I'm out there...now in the whittling down phase. Just glad that there are so many great people here (with so much knowledge) to help :thumbsup:
sky00high
Topix Acquainted

Post by sky00high »

markley wrote:Sorry for the confusion, i thought you said you had snagged a reservation at Shadow Creek.

Haha..i hear ya about trying to pick a route!! I have so many that I'd like to try to do while I'm out there...now in the whittling down phase. Just glad that there are so many great people here (with so much knowledge) to help :thumbsup:

Ya I realized that later. I did reserve the shadow creek. Fools is on me.

I have exactly same thought. All those information could take me a really really long time to gather if without those people's help. Now I am fairly confident I am getting the best thing available to me. Thank you guys! :thumbsup:
sky00high
Topix Acquainted

Post by sky00high »

FYI, River Trail at August 23rd just have 9 spaces freed up.