Is the Leavitt Meadows trail really that bad?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Is the Leavitt Meadows trail really that bad?

Post by schmalz »

Hey HST,

I hope everyone's summer plans are going well. Mine are in jeopardy due to the Willow Fire, so I'm currently researching alternatives in case my planned trip won't work. I was planning on doing 7 days over Duck Pass starting next Monday, but that area has been getting smoked out so now it all depends on how the fire plays out. Unfortunately, that "area" comprises the majority of wilderness where a trip of that length is feasible with a dog. So, I'm looking a bit outside of my normal zone. I'm considering Golden Trout... I have some fun ideas for Emigrant but I don't want to do the western part of it if there will be a heatwave going on. I'd rather avoid it at the very least if I can, which leads me towards Hoover Wilderness.

I have scoped out the maps and looked over some trip reports, and it looks like I could piece together a great trip out there. The only problem is how to get into the backcountry. I don't think my Subaru could make it to Leavitt Lake, but if anyone would like to try to talk me into it, I'll consider. Leavitt Meadows seems like the most logical choice after that, but I read a trip report from Wandering Daisy which read "I will never take this trail again. The combination of natural sandy soil and heavy horse use have made this route miles upon miles of working hard for every step – like walking on soft beach sands", which is strongly worded enough to leave me wondering just how bad it is. Anyone else care to give a review? Are there alternatives I might be missing?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Is the Leavitt Meadows trail really that bad?

Post by balzaccom »

We've hiked that trail twice in the last few years. Not our favorite trail, but it is the best route to get to Dorothy Lake and that wonderful country. Start early in the morning and it's much better. The later you hike, the hotter it is, and it's about five of six miles of fairly flat but not too scenic trail before you start getting to the good stuff.

Then again, the road to Leavitt Lake is only about two miles long. Why not just park where it gets a little rough, and hike in from there?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
EGBill
Topix Novice

Post by EGBill »

It is a hot and dusty/sandy trail... Leave early in the morning to avoid the sun!!! :D
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

I would give the Leavitt Lake road a try first. I've been on it only once but it was in much better condition than other roads.

The Leavitt Meadows trail is a fairly easy trail but the miles seem tedious.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I've hiked it several times. It's not my favorite trail, but it certainly is not the worst one either. It's flat. It can be warm. Parts of it can be dusty. There can be a lot of cow manure. OTOH, there is some pretty scenery. It often is snow free weeks before the majority of Toiyabe/Stanislaus area. The climb to Dorothy Lake has significant elevation gain. So, while I don't love it, I also do not hate it.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I feel more confident with my knowledge of the area now. I think that the trail would be fine for us with an early start. However, given more thought my plans have moved a bit west and we are targeting the Emigrant again.

The trip I was thinking about doing here will be done eventually though, so all of this information will be put to good use and posted here eventually.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

Its been awhile, but the last time I saw the road im not sure a Subaru can make it unless the roads been graded.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
DLeikam
Topix Novice

Post by DLeikam »

k9mark wrote:Its been awhile, but the last time I saw the road im not sure a Subaru can make it unless the roads been graded.
I drive this once every year or two...about 7(?) years ago I did it in my outback and it was borderline at best. Since then I've taken a 4wd truck every time and every year the road is worse. It hasn't been graded in the 7 years I've been up there. Unless you have superhuman powers, I really don't think a Subaru will make it. I have a friend that regularly parks at the bottom and hikes in, just over an hour, mostly shaded. And once you're up there, you have lots of options to head into the backcountry.