TR: Lyons Creek, Eldorado NF, 7/18-19/2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Lyons Creek, Eldorado NF, 7/18-19/2015

Post by FeetFirst »

A few weeks ago my friend and I took our preschoolers on their first overnight backpacking trip. Both kids have been eased into the idea with prior car camping trips and my son has been on a few day hikes, but this was their first full fledged overnight backpacking adventure.

We looked at areas close to home to limit time in the car. Also, since I wasn't really sure how the kids would handle hiking, I wanted a trail that didn't force any particular amount of miles to reach a feature (e.g. lake, river) to camp. Thus, the Lyons Creek trail fit the bill since it essentially parallels the creek and has nice large granite slabs scattered throughout for the kids to spread out and play on.

At the trailhead ready to go:

Sticks! Seriously, if I knew how much fun a kid could have with a stick, Christmas shopping would've been much cheaper last year:

"Eat my dust," is an understatement. These kids were literally running half the time:

The trail became RR tracks and these two hooligans were the trains clambering for the lead. "Choo choooo...all aboard":

After a mile or two we came to a perfect place for the kids to play:

"Fish!":

More sticks. This particular brute was the SS Minnow on its way to float down the waterfalls:

Easy does it:

They splashed around in the creek till sundown:

Camped back there in the trees a bit:

Home for the night. My son in the background building a "bear trap."

Rocks! Almost as cool as sticks:

"Dad, can we stay another night?!" Mission accomplished:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Lyons Creek, Eldorado NF, 7/18-19/2015

Post by maverick »

Fun family TR and photo's, thanks for sharing.
"Dad, can we stay another night?!" Mission accomplished:
Got that right, hook, line, and sinker. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Planting natural seeds into your Earth creatures that will last a lifetime. Well done!

David
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Sticks & Rocks. Evidently, you forgot what it was to be a kid :D

Seriously more fun than youtube and gaming.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thank you, all for reading and commenting.
Jimr wrote:Sticks & Rocks. Evidently, you forgot what it was to be a kid...
Too true. Part of the fun of being a dad is seeing the world through your kid's eyes.
SSSdave wrote:Planting natural seeds into your Earth creatures that will last a lifetime. Well done!
Exactly! :thumbsup: I'm really excited that he had such a blast because this is truly a game changer. I can already see long trips in the Sierra with him in the future.
maverick wrote:Fun family TR and photo's, thanks for sharing.
Thanks.
Last edited by FeetFirst on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Very sweet post!
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;