TR: Mt. Langley Day Hike (OAP & NAP) 6/20/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Mt. Langley Day Hike (OAP & NAP) 6/20/15

Post by cloudlesssky »

I decided to beat the heat of the desert and take a day hike up Mt. Langley. It's a reasonably quick trip to the trail head from my house and because I've done it several times in past years it gives me a good gauge on my fitness level for the hiking season.

The creeks are all still flowing but the levels seem down a bit from my recollections of past "dry" years. I didn't have to endure dawn or dust, but the bugs seemed to be in the 1-2 range. Maybe 1-2 bites all day.
Creek_Crossing.JPG
I decided to head for "Old" Army Pass since that's my typical route. There was some snow along the trail that caused some minor diversions, but only the very top 50 yards or so did I decided it was unpassable (with reasonable risk). Others might feel more comfortable. I chose to climb up a class 2ish chute to the top just before the snow field.
Old_Army_Pass.JPG
OAP_Snow_Field.JPG
When I was approaching the pass I saw someone climbing the snow chute just below the pass. They were just about at the top when I got there.
Chute_Climber.JPG
I made the summit around 12:30 and hung out with the small group there. It was the busiest day I've ever seen on Mt. Langley and everyone seemed to be having a good time - especially once they made the summit.
Mt_Langley_Summit_Photo.JPG
The trail crews have built large cairns to guide hikers up what seems to be the easiest route to the top. I think they are even better for going down than up as I know I've gotten way off trail before (one time ending up on the ridge with the Major General and having to back climb). Those of you who hate cairns will really dislike these.
Mt_Langley_Trail_Cairn.JPG
I chose to go down New Army Pass. It was completely clear of snow and in pretty good shape.
Looking_Down_New_Army_Pass.JPG
On the way out I got to see several of the lakes along the south fork. I've always liked these lakes and even though there were a lot of people on the trails I didn't get the sense that the campsites were on top of each other.
Long_Lake.JPG
Cottonwood_Lake_2.JPG
Cottonwood_Lake_1.JPG
I made it back to the trail head by about 5:30 and was home in time for dinner. A great way to spend the day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mt. Langley Day Hike (OAP & NAP) 6/20/15

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you for the trail report and photos cloudlesssky! It is surprising to see OAP so clear this early. It looks like you had perfect weather for the entire trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Did you take the old trail from the SF lakes on your return trip? I've gotten (semi) lost on Langley after the headwall as well. Continued heading north a bit before realizing the true peak was north-east. Urgh.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Did you take the old trail from the SF lakes on your return trip?
No, didn't even occur to me till I was down the trail quite a ways. I'm familiar enough with the established trails in that area that I never even pull the map out of my pack, so the little dotted line didn't have a chance to even spark the thought. Probably just as well since I was tired and hiking on autopilot at that point.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Sounds like a nice day, thanks for sharing the photos. Hard to believe Old Army is that melted out already. Seems like similar conditions to when we hiked this in August many years ago!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

How is the (now unmaintained) trail going up original Army Pass? I understand that there is one sizeable slide over the trail and that one has to do some class three travel to negotiate the slide; is that correct? Other than the slide, is the "OAP" trail pretty followable? How much exposure does the class three detour involve? One of the guys who will be travelling with me does NOT like heights.

I'm considering the original Army Pass as an exit route from a hike I'm doing from Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving