xcountry skiing

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
wingding

xcountry skiing

Post by wingding »

I went xcountry skiing at Tamarck in Mammoth yesterday. It was a beautiful day with blue skys and not much wind. I really enjoyed wandering around on the groomed tracks after taking a ski lesson. They have some fresh snow up there and a big storm coming in this week sometime.

I'm looking forward to heading back up there again.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hey Kathy, looks like you must've had a blast. I'm not familar with Tamarck - are there miles of groomed trails, is it costly, etc. ?
wingding

Post by wingding »

There are lots of groomed trails at Tamarack. They groom them daily. It cost me $68 for the lesson, rentals, and pass for the day. It is $25 for a day pass and you can also get an afternoon pass for slightly less. Also some of the trails have an area that runs at the side of them where you can ski or snowshoe for free - those areas are a bit rougher and there aren't as many of them.

Here's more information:

http://www.tamaracklodge.com/xcountry/

I think I'll try to get back up there again before the end of the season.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the extra info; I'd like to give that a try myself.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Sounds like fun. I was planning to take my son up to that area in a couple of weeks to teach him to XC ski. We were planning to stay in June Lake and I was thinking Deadman Summit as a good beginner area. Anybody know the conditions around there?
doug mccain
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by doug mccain »

Brian,
I'd try the Obsidian Dome Rd. area for teaching your son. There are no snow-mobiles allowed like they are at the Deadman's summit play area. There's a nice ~1.5 mile groomed system that takes you back to the Dome. Slight uphill grade the whole way in, and then slightly downhill the whole way out. Have fun.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Doug, thanks. That is the area I meant. I was just wondering about snow coverage since this has been a dry year
doug mccain
Topix Newbie

Post by doug mccain »

Brian,
I was up there two weeks ago and it was starting to get a little thin on some spots on the road/trail. With all the snow they've had recently, it's going to be awesome. I wish I had been able to get today off. If so, I'd be at that exact spot too. Have fun.
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Hi, I got to do a daytrip this week that was a combination xctry ski and snowshoe. I started on the groomed trails at Spooner Lake ski area, moved onto a snow-covered summer trail that eventually topped out on Snow Valley Peak, above the east shore of Lake Tahoe.