Camp Shoes - Yes or No?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Camp Shoes - Yes or No?

Post by cloudlesssky »

I didn't see a recent specific thread on this.

Do you take "camp shoes" or "water shoes" (for crossings) and if you do what are they?

I normally don't take "camp shoes" or "water shoes" but decided to on my most recent outing. I was very glad I did, mostly because I ended up ended with blisters and couldn't wait to get the boots off at night, but also I was trying to stay strongly hydrated and ended up getting up 4x each night as a result and pulling on camp shoes was easier, faster, more comfortable.

I have some Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure's that are good for water too. Croc-like material, but much thinner and as a result lighter. Something like 6oz for the pair. They have a heel cup and cinch down which is and advantage in the water over flipflops. Got them on sale a year or so ago for about 1/3 the MSRP.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camp Shoes - Yes or No?

Post by AlmostThere »

Crocs. Big enough that the thick socks or down socks fit in them for walking around camp. Waterproof and stable enough for the easier wading. Glue felt on the soles and you have fishing shoes that stick to wet slick rock. Mud washes off 'em and they dry quickly. The bunions thank me when I wear them at the end of a long day.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I just got back from a week up the Kern, hiking in my Teva sandals and Injinji toe socks. I carried my boots the whole time except for the first day. My feet feel awesome except the heels get a bit dry. I'll need to bring a bit of lotion next time. I had no problem with the numerous stream crossings. Occasionally, I'd take my socks off and wade through the water, but most times, rock hopping and log walking. I even went down Shepherd pass in sandals and they were fine.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There was this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4458&p=26736&hilit=teva#p26736

It was more about creek crossings, but I like general purpose equipment.

I like my Tevas still. They work as camp shoes with the thick woollies on to prevent skeeter attacks, but they also work as wading/crossing/fishing shoes. Crocs look fine as well, I just haven't tried them. I've also carried basic tennis shoes as well, but they don't work for wading, unless you dispose of them after one trip.

I like to get out of the boots at the end of the day. My feet need a breather.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Same - Crocs (w/ camp/sleeping bag socks). Mine are fakes from WalMart but weigh in lighter than the real deal. Ugly, but remarkably comfortable.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Another Croc user here. I like sandals better, but they are way heavier.
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

Even though they're heavy and bulky, I still take my Tevas.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Brien wrote:Even though they're heavy and bulky, I still take my Tevas.
X2 they are comfortable, don't slip on wet rocks, and I have proven that I can hike in them should my boots go toes up.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No need, my trail runners are light enough to serve as hiking shoes and camp shoes in one. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

Post by larroyo33 »

Yep, Vivobarefoot Ultras. I used to use Crocs for camp/water shoes, but the Ultras are way better (unfortunately, they are also more expensive).