TR: Tableland to Crescent Lake to Beville Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BakoGal
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Tableland to Crescent Lake to Beville Lake

Post by BakoGal »

My friend and I really enjoy exploring the Tableland, and having both been toward Pterodactyl Pass, we opted to check out the northern portion. We read a trip report by TehipiteTom (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9967#p75236) covering some of our intended route, so thanks for the intel, TT!

On 07-16-2015 we headed out on the Lakes Trail, passing the often crowded, designated campsites (and stinky loo) at Emerald Lake. We continued to the fork in the trail, with the right heading to Pear Lake, and the left dropping a bit to the Pear Lake ranger hut. We chose the left, dropping to and crossing the outlet of Pear Lake.

At this point we would be off trail until the beginning of our third day. I really enjoy being off trail, as it requires me to look around, and I see so much more. On a trail, I have a tendency to just plod along, knocking the miles out and not necessarily enjoying myself.

We generally followed the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River, starting on the south side, and then switching to the north side in the area of Peak 10251’. Not a lot of water this year…sad.

Our destination for this day was Lake 10559’. A look back down the Kaweah as we neared the lake.

Good morning from Lake 10559’.
My friend is down there making her breakfast burrito. I know she was secretly jealous of my instant oatmeal.

The first goal of the day was to work our way northwest to the saddle near the center of the photo.

There were lots of pockets of flowers.

We made it to the saddle, where we determined we should have aimed a little more to the west as we were seriously cliffed out. After admiring the view of the spires at the head of Box Canyon, we moved a bit west, which was much more user friendly.

Our next goal was to work across the head of Horse Creek Canyon, aiming for the trees at the base of Peak 11080’ish.

A look back at our route from the top of Horse Creek drainage to the saddle above Lake 10559’.

From there we worked our way down to Crescent Lake, which is visible a tick above the center of this photo.

After a lunch break at Crescent, we began to work our way to Beville Lake. This is where we probably could have found a better route, but, meh, you live and you learn. We chose to go up to the saddle north of the lake, and then down the gully on the other side, which turned out to be a steep, grass-covered, dry water course. We really had to watch where we put our feet. About halfway down, we bailed to the east, and worked our way to the east side of Lake 9518’. Hindsight, which is always so clear, I think from the top of the saddle north of Crescent Lake, we should have turned west for a short time, then north and come down between Lake 9518’ and the unnamed lake (tarn?) above it.

Either way, we made it to Beville Lake, where we had a stunning view over coffee.

We made our way back to Lodgepole via the Twin Lakes trail.

At Lodgepole we had left a second vehicle to drive to the first vehicle at Wolverton. I think the park shuttle idea is good, but the park definitely did not give thought as to where everyone would park their car on the busy weekends….it was a nightmare getting out of Lodgepole.

On the northern end of Lemon Cove, right across the street from the Texaco station, we stopped at a restaurant called Om Nom Nom. It was soooooooo good. I highly recommend it!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Tableland to Crescent Lake to Beville Lake

Post by maverick »

Very nice TR and pretty pictures! Not an area that is highly frequented, really like Crescent Lake, your Beville Lake reflection shots is very nice. Nice to see the flowers out, no mention of mosquitoes, none around? Have been in Tablelands many time, and July can be horrendous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BakoGal
Topix Acquainted

Post by BakoGal »

Re the mosquitoes. I was wearing long pants and long sleeves, my friend was in shorts and a tank top, so she had more difficulty with them! Most of the time it was breezy, so that kept the little buggers at bay. When the wind took a break, a light application of DEET kept them away. All in all, I came out with two bites, so no complaints!
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Looks like we were in the same area at the same time! We left the TH around 7:30 that morning, so I'm guessing we just missed you guys at some point. It's a fantastic area and that was my first that way and loved it. We looked down at Table Meadows and lake 10559 from the ridgeline above Moose and want to explore that area. Your comment about the camera that you left on my post, I can empathize. It's intimidating for sure, but definitely fun to figure out. This is the first time I was really able to play with all the settings since I purchased it back in November. Good stuff!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Enjoyed the image tour thanks for making the effort creating the report. Have had a short trip into The Tablelands queued up for several years but never seem to pull the trigger. Last few years have simply been too dry and want to see it after a wet year when the turf areas are nicely green.

David
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SSSDave wrote:
Last few years have simply been too dry and want to see it after a wet year when the turf areas are nicely green.
Maybe next year, forecasters are predicting a strong El Nino that is already building.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Beautiful photos! Sounds like a great trip, and I'm glad to hear my report was useful. :)
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

The stretch of the Marble Fork from the Ranger Station to the headwaters at Frog Lake is some of the most beautiful in the entire park. When I used to work in Sequoia we'd all call it Hawaiian Paradise. The pass from Frog Lake over the ridge to Ferguson Canyon is also a nice alternative to Silliman Pass. X-Country passes don't really get much easier. Ferguson Lakes are pretty nice, but I'd recommend continuing on to Sugarloaf or Crescent Lake. The only downside is the mosquitoes. I believe they're worse in Roaring River Country than anywhere else in the park.
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikerdude87 »

Thanks for the TR. And your pictures are amazing!