AquaMira Sore throat

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

AquaMira Sore throat

Post by jgaffney »

I started using AquaMira drops instead of a pump 2 years ago. Lately, I've noticed that I have a burning throat 3-4 days into my trip. The pain gets so bad that I can't finish my dinner, which is not a good thing. By morning, the pain is mostly gone.

I don't know if the pain is from the AquaMira or because I'm gasping for air (I do that alot above 9,000 ft). Has anyone else had a reaction like this from the AquaMira drops? Reply to the drops issue only, please. If I need a replacement, we'll get to that in a later post.

Thanks for your time.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: AquaMira Sore throat

Post by The Other Tom »

I have had no issue with AquaMira. The active chemical is chlorine dioxide. According to the Merck Index, concentrated chlorine dioxide "may be hghly irrating to skin and mucous membranes of respiratory tract." So maybe you are more sensative than others to the active ingredient.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

The Other Tom:

I must be in that class of "more sensitive." My wife says so, anyway. In any case, my Kaiser physician recommended that I eat Zantac for 3 days and see what happens. When that cleared the pain right up, he confirmed that I was getting an acid reflux from the AquaMira. So, unfortunately, I'm now shopping for an alternate water treatment system. I do NOT want to go back to carrying my Katadyn filter.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I do NOT want to go back to carrying my Katadyn filter.
Have you considered a SteriPen, love mine, and use it in areas that I consider the water suspect. http://www.steripen.com/ :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org