"Wild" and PCT Traffic ?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
bytwerk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

"Wild" and PCT Traffic ?

Post by bytwerk »

I'll be hiking through the section of the Muir Trail from Hutchinson Meadow to the Bishop Pass junction in late July. I'm curious if there will be lots of "Wild" inspired PCT hikers. I'm thinking campsite availability — the last time I was at Evolution Lake was 30 years ago, at which point there weren't all that many other people around. This time I'll have a group of six people and six llamas.

Anyone have recent experience?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: "Wild" and PCT Traffic ?

Post by AlmostThere »

Since PCT thrus generally start in April, and probably started earlier this year, I suspect you'll see very few of them in that area. However, there will be plenty of JMT hikers.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My observation of late is that most PCT hikers and a lot of JMT hikers are young folks. They tend to get later starts and get into camp quite late, sometimes even by headlamp. If you start early and select your campsites by mid-afternoon you usually will have the pick of the sites, even in crowded areas.
snowblind
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowblind »

I was in that area in early July (hiked from Muir pass to Sapphire) and it seemed a little busier than years past. As AlmostThere mentions, 95% were hiking south (either doing the JMT or North>South Lake). I assume most PCT'ers have already moved on. Hiking south helps to reduce the appearance of traffic.

Interestingly, nearly everyone in the Evolution area we passed were planning on camping at either Helen or Wanda (no shortage of sites, but you won't be alone)....if you plan your stops accordingly, you may find more solitude.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

Here's a photo taken at the Tuolumne Meadows post office on June 10 showing postmaster Mike with all the PCT re-supply parcels that entirely filled up his space forcing him to stack the overflow out in the store.

Mike has been there for ten summers and has never seen so many re-supply parcels. He talks to a lot of hikers and attributes the increase directly to the impact of Wild.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org