Self Driving Cars

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Self Driving Cars

Post by maverick »

How many of you are looking forward to having one? Sleeping, to and from the trailhead, can hardly wait. Or do you freak out at the thought of a self driving vehicle, self driving down to Roads End or the southern entrance to SEKI?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Self Driving Cars

Post by Jimr »

If it can drop me off on the west side and drive itself to the east side, then I'm in.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That would be cool Jim, you could start at any trailhead in the Sierra, exit whichever one you wanted, your car would be at the trailhead, though I wonder whether a self parking feature is something that is part of this whole deal.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

maverick wrote:...though I wonder whether a self parking feature is something that is part of this whole deal.
According to BMW's next self-parking car won't need any human help it will be a five year wait for a "Remote Valet Parking Assistant" that employs high-resolution laser scanners built into the car’s body to capture data on its surroundings and park the vehicle on command from a smartphone app.