Ionian Basin: Lots of route questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Ionian Basin: Lots of route questions

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have not been over Wanda Pass. I thought Black Giant Pass was quite easy. Why not go in one and out the other? I do not see why you cannot day-hike to the lakes in the western basin and base-camp at the lake south of Wanda Pass. That would give you an east side entry route that also visits all of the basin. It is quite windy here, but if you drop down a short distance there are campsites on flat benches out of the wind.

I would not go part way down Enchanted Gorge. I agree that the effort is not worth the scenery. There are a lot more rewarding side-trips to do.
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »

oleander wrote: What is the route from Martha to the north and east and back to the JMT? I seem to recall reading that the route goes around the north side of the Davis Lakes. That is a lot of miles. Is there a shorter/more direct route that is just as scenic (and not too exposed)?
We hiked/climbed around the south side of Davis Lakes last week. You could do the reverse. Where it says "loose talus" above and south of Lake 11160+ is serious stuff. We shifted to scrambling up the rock. You might do better by looping around the north side of that lake; I didn't examine that.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did the south side of Davis Lake years ago. It is NOT easy and not that much shorter- about 3 miles to the PCT vs 3.5 miles on the north shore. Not worth the extra difficulty.

As for "a long ways across Ionian Basin", From the PCT at Helen Lake to Black Giant it is 1.1 miles, another 1.1 to Chasm Lake (beautiful campsite). Then about 4.5 miles to Martha Lake. A highly recommended side trip to the lakes north of Scylla add about a mile. From Martha Lake to the west end of Goddard Lake is about 2 miles. In my book, these are not long distances. Actually, I think it is a compact basin. IF you are experienced at rock-hopping, basically a day across the basin. If you want to do little side trips, then two days. Another day to get from Martha Lake to Davis Lake (north shore). A camp at Davis Lake is worth it even though you could make it to the PCT. Do the loop if you want to see Martha Lake and Davis Lake. Otherwise, you can base camp at one of the lakes and day-hike, returning via Black Giant Pass.

Bad weather could trip you up. Traveling within the Ionian Basin in rain is really hard and miserable. The rocks are slate, often slick when wet, not like the typical rounded granite rock. Returning via Black Giant Pass is a good "Plan B" if weather goes bad.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Once a gain a valuable dialogue on an intersting topic. We are headed into the IB via Goodard Crk and out over Wanda Pass. It sounds like the route through Reinstein Pass is the way to go but wondered why folks don't go over the notch directly east of Martha L?

Also Bigbrookie mentioned Lake 10212 but I don't see that lake on any of my maps. Can you please help me understand this better?

Thanks all!
Wanderin' Jack
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

Lake 10212 at the head of Goddard Creek is designated with an elevation of 10232 feet on the most recent 7.5 minute topo. Many of us are accustomed to using the elevation found on the old 15 minute Mt Goddard quad.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

as already mentioned, lake 10232 (formerly 212) would be a worthwhile visit….
especially the meadow down below the lake.
there could be a fun exploration trip downstream if you do a layover at 10232…
the meandering stream (very wide in sections just below 232) is lined with some beautiful grass which turns gold in september.
the next lake down also has good fishing and not far below this lake…
...the creek flows over a metamorphic band of rock which is orange in color.
outstanding photography here (overcast or shadows work best for the water cascades.)
outstanding photography at 10232 as well.

for the out… head north over the gap to get you on down to martha lk (reinstein would be towards the west) and then straight shot it down goddard canyon and then into evolution valely at the junction.
have fun whatever you decide.