Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by maverick »

Yeap, that be the one Hobbes. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Can't wait. I've been working for 7 days straight and look forward to another 5 before getting the heck out of Dodge.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Those of you heading up this weekend, be aware of the following, keep a close eye on this as the weekend gets closer, and plan accordingly:

NWS:

.DISCUSSION...
SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW MAINLY CLEAR SKIES ACROSS THE CENTRAL
CALIFORNIA INTERIOR. TEMPERATURES AT MIDDAY WERE RUNNING A COUPLE OF
DEGREES WARMER THAN 24 HOURS AGO...IN THE LOWER TO MID 80S IN THE
SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY...AND HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE CENTRAL AND
SOUTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY ARE ON TRACK TO REACH THE MID 90S.

AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH WILL REMAIN OVER CALIFORNIA THROUGH MIDWEEK...
KEEPING SKIES CLEAR AND TEMPERATURES SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL IN A DRY
SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT. FOR THE LATTER HALF OF THE WEEK THE TROUGH
IS FORECAST TO WEAKEN AND HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE CENTRAL AND
SOUTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY WILL WARM TO AROUND 100.

THE FORECAST FOR THE COMING WEEKEND HAS A GREATER DEGREE OF
UNCERTAINTY TODAY...AS THE ECMWF AND GFS NOW HAVE DIVERGENT
SOLUTIONS FOR HURRICANE DOLORES. AT 20Z /1300 PDT/ THIS AFTERNOON...
DOLORES WAS WEST OF THE CENTRAL MEXICAN COAST NEAR 17.2 N/ 106.3 W.
DOLORES HAD SUSTAINED WINDS OF 65 KTS WITH GUSTS TO 75 KTS. THE
HURRICANE WAS MOVING WEST-NORTHWEST AT 8 KTS.

THE 12Z GFS TRACKS DOLORES NORTHWESTWARD THROUGH WEDNESDAY...THEN
TURNS THE STORM WESTWARD TO 20N/120W BY SATURDAY EVENING. THE
HURRICANE IS THEN FORECAST TO TRACK NORTHWEST SUNDAY AND MONDAY
BEFORE GETTING CAUGHT IN THE CIRCULATION AROUND AN UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE
CENTERED OVER THE DESERT SOUTHWEST TUESDAY OF NEXT WEEK. IF THIS
SOLUTION IS CORRECT...MOISTURE FROM DOLORES WOULD STAY WELL AWAY
FROM CALIFORNIA THIS WEEKEND AND CONDITIONS FOR INTERIOR CENTRAL
CALIFORNIA WOULD BE WARM AND MOSTLY DRY ALTHOUGH THE GFS DOES BRING
A MONSOONAL INFLUX INTO THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAINS AND DESERT
SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY FOR INCREASED CLOUDS AND POSSIBLE SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS.

THE 00Z ECMWF TRACKS DOLORES NORTHWEST TO 24N/120W BY 00Z SUNDAY
/1700 PDT SATURDAY/...THEN TURNS THE STORM NORTHWARD AND WEAKENS IT
AS IT BECOMES ENTRAINED IN THE FLOW AROUND THE RIDGE OVER THE
SOUTHERN UNITED STATES. THE ECMWF HAS MOISTURE FROM DOLORES PUSHING
INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BEGINNING SATURDAY AS WELL AS THE MONSOONAL
SURGE FROM THE SOUTHEAST. THE ECMWF SOLUTION WOULD BRING A BETTER
CHANCE FOR SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO MOST...IF NOT ALL...OF THE
WFO HANFORD WARNING/ FORECAST AREA FOR THE WEEKEND.

BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE ECMWF AND THE GFS...THE
FORECAST IS A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE SOLUTIONS. HAVE GONE WITH
SLIGHT CHANCE POPS FOR THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAINS AND DESERT AND THE
TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS SATURDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING WITH SLIGHT
CHANCE POPS FOR THUNDERSTORMS SPREADING ACROSS THE ENTIRE WFO HANFORD
WARNING/FORECAST AREA SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH NEXT MONDAY...EXCEPT
FOR CHANCE POPS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE SOUTHERN SIERRA
NEVADA...INCLUDING THE PIUTES SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT
AND CONTINUING NORTH OF KERN COUNTY MONDAY MORNING.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ToothlessMountaineer
Topix Novice

Post by ToothlessMountaineer »

Unfortunately I'll have to wait till next year for my first HST meetup, and at least another month and a half to finally explore the Kaweahs. I took some friends to Desolation Lake over the 4th and managed to get not one, but two pulled quads. After the initial pain from the first injury (somewhat soothed by Fireball) I felt surprisingly better and was able to hike well enough the next day, and the day after I tried to lead my group up Humphreys. About halfway up I managed to pull the other one while catching a light slip, but at least I was able to descend under my own power and hike out the next day just fine. I know that I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to try for Tyndall or any of the myriad cross country adventures I could embark in the area, where a fully torn quadriceps tendon would not be ideal. It's more than a little frustrating that I'm nearly in the best hiking shape of my life and I can still hike and scramble without pain, outside of a specific range of motion. Such is life. ](*,)

If my boss OKs it I could take another shot at the Kaweahs the week before Labor Day if I keep myself from re injuring myself. Cheers to those still getting out there - I don't knows what the High Country looks like during a summer after a wet or even just a normal snow year, but these rains and (rock) glacier runoff are certainly putting on a pretty nice wildflower show thus far.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Good call, never a good idea to go into the backcountry with an injury, just make sure you allow it time to heel, otherwise it will become chronic, and then you will be sideline for a long time!

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Been looking at the way into Kaweah Basin from the Kern-Kaweah. I have about decided to go into the Pickett Lake area first by fording the KK river 1/2-3/4 miles upstream of the "normal" route that sticks a little closer to the creek that comes out of Kaweah Basin. It seems like it might be a little less exposed, especially if I can find the "ramp" system some speak about. The maps inserted on this thread are helpful. Any suggestions? Secor describes the route down from the lowest Pickett Creek Lake to the Kern Kaweah as class 2, but gives no details. Then again, if someone is around next Tuesday or Wednesday who has done one of these routes before, I might just follow them. I leave tomorrow morning, leisurely making my way thru Miter Basin to the area. See you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, but I will not make the Meet-up. :(
I was rear ended at a stop light this morning on the way to work, spent several hours at Kaiser getting x-rays and CT scans, luckily no major injuries, but will be sore for the next several days (back and neck).

austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Capital B Bummmmer! But no injuries as of yet! Beware they do creep up on ya in the next few weeks... Again. Crap!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rich- I have been reading internet reports and they are all over the place on the difficulty of the "standard" route from Kern-Keweah to Island Lake and the "alternative" that you are talking about. I have been studying Google Earth too. Because of the uncertainty of these routes from the Kern-Keweah, I may stick to the "devil that I know"- in Picket Guard Pass and out via Pyra Queen Col. Also have been considering going over the pass from the lake below Pants Pass to the head of Picket Creek. Looks like a lot of talus on Google Earth. Unfortunately Google Earth images were taken when there still was lots of snow.

It also looks to me that you could also go directly to the lakes on Red Spur and then drop to Island Lake. It sure would be great to have a good route descriptions.

If anyone here has been up the route from the Kern Keweah (near Rockslide Lake) to Island Lake, I would REALLY appreciate some information on this route!!!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

What a drag Mav. We'll leave the light on for ya.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.