Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Jimr »

My wife won't let me grocery shop. I don't have enough brand loyalty. Fine with me :D
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

My plan drive Friday after work to mineral king, leave after getting permit Saturday july 18 for sawtooth pass, up glacier pass then hopefully sawtooth and needham peaks down to spring lake. I know going to be HARSH!
Day 2 Sun CC to blackrock trail and side hill to MT Eisen, down to little five lakes over to northeast side Lippincott to lake north east of it camp or climb lippencott then camp.
day 3 Mon Lippencott down to big Arroyo up Eagle scout peak and mt Stewart camp at lake 10725
Day 4 Tues Lake 10725 to Lawson, and kaweah queen over to pyra queen maybe up peak 4035 down to island lake
Day 5 wed thurs explore definitely some peaks red spur, picket guard, kern point who knows
Day 7 Friday out kaweah pass up Mt kaweah and second Kaweah to camp somewhere.
Day 8 sat all the way out maybe or stop and go out early on sun maybe Empire mountain
Drive back to Donner Summit, work Monday
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Hey, I have been going thru the same thing, for the last few weeks, it is a male thing too! Fortunately, I enjoy the planning process, and it is hard to overplan when you are going cross country. Its not like we are going out our front doors and walking to the store.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rich- I tried to see if I could tie in with your plans for Shepherd Pass to Cottonwood so we could shuttle cars. It just did not work out for me. Sorry. So I still am looking at going in the west side. I wish SEKI shuttle bus went between the major trailheads. It goes between Wolverton and Crescent Meadow, but not to Mineral King or Roads End. I would prefer a point-to-point between Crescent Meadow and Roads End. Not sure of my ability/probability of success to hitch. And the best point-to-point is between Mineral King and Roads End, even a more problematic hitch. Alas, I probably will settle on a loop.

Maverick- with the number of people showing up, do you think we will have enough campsites at Island Lake? Would it be better for the group if I were to only plan one night at Island Lake, vs two?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maverick- with the number of people showing up, do you think we will have enough campsites at Island Lake? Would it be better for the group if I were to only plan one night at Island Lake, vs two?
We will be fine WD, Island Lake is a pretty large size lake, plus there is a smaller, and then an even smaller lake next to it, that can accomodate any over flow, so no one needs to shorten their stay, plus only a few will be staying 2 nights anyway, most are staying one night, and moving on to their next location.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Rich- I tried to see if I could tie in with your plans for Shepherd Pass to Cottonwood so we could shuttle cars. It just did not work out for me. Sorry.
Thanks for considering it. No problem, sometimes the number of people will thin out at the last minute for a backpacking trip, so if that should happen, and a ride is available, so be it. But it will be a very nice trip going back to Horseshoe Meadows. I may even take the long way around, and hike and fish the Kern River down to the bridge, then go east up to Trail Pass thru Little Whitney Meadow. Looking forward to the trip. I am trying to somehow fit all 11 days if food in a Bearikade Scout Bear can, and I think it is going to work! (almost)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My plan drive Friday after work to mineral king, leave after getting permit Saturday july 18 for sawtooth pass, up glacier pass then hopefully sawtooth and needham peaks down to spring lake. I know going to be HARSH!
Day 2 Sun CC to blackrock trail and side hill to MT Eisen, down to little five lakes over to northeast side Lippincott to lake north east of it camp or climb lippencott then camp.
day 3 Mon Lippencott down to big Arroyo up Eagle scout peak and mt Stewart camp at lake 10725
Day 4 Tues Lake 10725 to Lawson, and kaweah queen over to pyra queen maybe up peak 4035 down to island lake
Day 5 wed thurs explore definitely some peaks red spur, picket guard, kern point who knows
Day 7 Friday out kaweah pass up Mt kaweah and second Kaweah to camp somewhere.
Day 8 sat all the way out maybe or stop and go out early on sun maybe Empire mountain
Drive back to Donner Summit, work Monday
Sound like a fantastic plan, except for the last part, long drive, and work.

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I just got 8 days in my scout and very happy about it! Yep the work part sucks but at least I got time off! And the drive REALLY sucks!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I think this is 'Island lake':

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=59389

We moved upstream a couple hundred yards and headed right into a grove of pine trees about 100 yards from the stream. I knew from previous trips that it concealed an excellent camp site overlooking an exquisite lake with a vista of the Kaweah Peaks Ridge in the background.