Yosemite History?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Yosemite History?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Always interested in Yosemite History. Would love to hear of things that are no longer in the park, or things that had been cancelled, etc. For instance I know the Superintendent building that flooded in 97? They are tearing down at the end of the year. The horse riding in the valley is finished, and they are going to limit the one in Tuolumne to just overnight trips I believe? Also believe Housecamping is closing too?

I've always wanted more information on Camp Six, and I believe there's a Rivers Campground? Or was? Is that renamed? Gone as well?

Things along that line, and anything else is always interesting to me. Anyone know of anything else and can explain where Camp Six/Rivers was?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite History?

Post by rlown »

Maybe your post to be in viewforum.php?f=27 Lots of info there already.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

I lived in Camp 6 one summer. It's still there, in a bend of the Merced RIver just south of the Northside Drive intersection with the road that leads to the parking lot behind the Village Store. It's almost entirely tent cabins that house seasonal concessionaire and NPS employees, along with rest rooms and shower buildings.

Upper and Lower River Campgrounds on the north side of the Merced were inundated by the 1997 flood and permanently eliminated per the park's Yosemite Valley Plan in 2000 along with the Group Campground and about half of Lower Pines Campground. I used to cross the footbridge over to Lower River from Housekeeping Camp and walk to the village. Bears would make the journey in reverse and raid Housekeeping units after chowing down at the campgrounds.

The names of the campgrounds date to the early 1970s. Before they just had numerical designations like Camp 4 and Camp 6. I know that Housekeeping Camp was formerly known as Camp 16 but I'm not sure which numbers were used for the River camps.

I don't think that Housekeeping Camp is closing. Some of the alternatives considered for adoption in the 2014 Merced Wild and Scenic River Comprehensive Management Plan envisioned removal of around half the 300 units, but in the end the NPS decided to remove only a few units along the river that are prone to flooding. Having worked there, I'd guess those would primarily be the units at the far western end of Housekeeping. They were basically built on swampland.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

So they never removed Camp 6? Or was Camp 6 for the public, and now it’s just for people who work there? The one person I talked to while photographing Firefall had felt they completely got rid of it. I recall them talking about the “bend.” Is this the area where the visitor parking lot is? They said they recall it being near where all the buses park in there. You just walk beyond the fences and it’ll take you to a beach type area. I assume somewhat across from Housekeeping?

I guess I’m trying to picture where the River campgrounds would have been, but I can’t picture it 100%. Looking at the Yosemite Valley Map, would it have been across the river from Lower Pines in that big open area?

Interesting about how they numbered all the campgrounds that way, and it definitely makes sense.

Good to know on housekeeping. I was told this through a family member who doesn’t necessarily research 100% and likes to take the extreme route, so I should have known. I myself thought it would be a bit insane getting rid of them just from the $$$ they probably make. Also good to hear your input, was wondering why they would be closing part of it off.

Definitely would love to hear of anything else that you can think of.

Thanks
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

InsaneBoost wrote:
I guess I’m trying to picture where the River campgrounds would have been, but I can’t picture it 100%. Looking at the Yosemite Valley Map, would it have been across the river from Lower Pines in that big open area?
This image from the Merced Management Plan may help. North is at the top. Housekeeping Camp buildings are on the left. The grey diagonal slash across the center is the road connecting Camp Curry to Yosemite Village, crossing the Merced out of Curry via Stoneman Bridge at the lower right. Lower River Campground occupied the area stretching from the left side of the road to the river bank; Upper River Campground was located to the right of the road.

(The plan calls for placing 60 new walk-in campsites and 10 auto campsites in this area, well away from the riverbanks. The old campgrounds had hundreds of sites.)

As far as I know Camp 6 never served public visitors during the past 50 years or so. There may have been camping there before employee housing was established, though. It's directly south of the Yosemite Village complex, on the far side of the road coming in from Curry. You can actually see some of the tent cabins through the trees when you are driving on the road.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Okay I think I recall seeing a gate blocking access on the left side of the road there one time a couple hundred feet after you go over the bridge. I assume that's what would have led to where the campgrounds were? Also makes sense why across the road on the other side there's a lot of open area as well. I'm guessing when the river flooded is just cut through instead of following the path.

Yeah I'm not too sure about Camp 6, I'm just going off of what the ladies told me during Firefall. I think I know exactly where you are talking about now with the tent houses.

Thanks for the info!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

sparky wrote:http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... ld-Imagery

you will enjoy this thread
Some great photos in that, thanks!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Not about camp 6 or the Valley, but an interesting snippet of Yosemite history:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,80584
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

The Other Tom wrote:Not about camp 6 or the Valley, but an interesting snippet of Yosemite history:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,80584
Perfect. Exactly the type of stuff I like to read about to. Might have to try and find some of these!!!!