Ascending Glacier Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ascending Glacier Pass

Post by Shawn »

Hey Scott -

Just wondering if you've been up to Glacier Pass yet?

Today I was up that way and thought about scrambling up the direct route, but that entire valley looks so overgrown and a mess to trudge through. Except for the very beginning of the old trail, I could not observe any evidence of a trail per se' . Anyway, rather than being masochistic going straight up the valley, I took the regular switch-backed trail. I didn't time the walk, but it was evident to me that the trail could be hiked in an equal or maybe even a lesser time than the straight line up the valley. Of course YMMV.

This sign kind of sums it up (at least for someone).
sign.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ascending Glacier Pass

Post by Ska-T »

Shawn wrote:Hey Scott -
Just wondering if you've been up to Glacier Pass yet?
No I haven't, Shawn. That trip, if actually done, is scheduled for later in July as a way to get to the Kaweah Basin meetup. Thanks for the photo of the trail sign. #-o

Also, thanks for everyone who posted to this thread. I was up in the mountains for some of the posts and couldn't respond.

-Scott