Watch out for old grinches

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Watch out for old grinches

Post by oldranger »

Markskor an I have been hiking local trails in the Mammoth area popular with day hikers. An extremely high proportion of them seem intent on cutting switchbacks. After the first couple we finally started yelling at transgressors. When heading downhill Mark is generally 25 or more yards ahead of me. In those cases the transgressors get a double barreled blast of invective and explanation. One time mark directed a person back on to the trail but as soon as Mark passed the man cut the next switchbac and I promptly yelled at him.

Yesterday we hiked into Gaylor and Granite lakes in Yosemite. On the way out we encountered a couple with 2 dogs heading up the trail. I asked if the knew it was against park regs to take dogs up the trail. The man responded, "we are fully aware of that!" Mark replied, "but obviously the rules don't apply to you, you self-centered douchebag!

Note we are not against well mannered dogs in the backcountry where permitted. But the willful ignoring of regs and good trail practices is beginning to wear on these two old farts and tact is not our long suit.

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Watch out for old griinches!

Post by rlown »

Again, more trail enforcement. It's waned in a big way for decades. The last real check point I saw was just before the descent to Glen Aulin in the 90's. The other one was in the Moke in the early 80's. Ranger Rick (yes that was his name), showed up in my face on 3 separate trips. I appreciated his omnipresence.

If you could get Mark to carry a camera, or even you snap a photo of the Ne'er-do-wells, and follow up with the locals, well, that'd be a LOT better off than someone pulling a gun on you while on the trail after shouting.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you could get Mark to carry a camera, or even you snap a photo of the Ne'er-do-wells, and follow up with the locals, well, that'd be a LOT better off than someone pulling a gun on you while on the trail after shouting.
Though I sympathize with what you are trying to accomplish here, and feel the same way when in the backcountry or back in the world, when folks cut me off while texting or on the phone, daily on the freeways. You just never know people's mindset and what they are capable of, if they feel embarrassed or disrespected, especially in front of their hiking partner/s, you could end as a victim of trail rage.

The idea of using your phone discreetly is an idea, but I still do not think the park service is going to take the time to figure out who they were, or are they going to fine them. More rangers is the only way to enforce these regulations, and with the budget restrictions, that is not going to happen any time soon.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with maverick.
I agree with what you said about trial cutters and abut dogs
I agree that you were griinches.
You yelled at them - wow.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Trail rage.....I agree as well that it might happen but I like this post and the visual has me smiling.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well put me in the old grinch club. Last August I was hiking down the valley from Franklin Lakes, returning to Mineral King. Most of the valley consist of long switch backs. Doesn't seem very efficient, but that's the way the trail is - probably for a reason.

Two "youngsters" were ahead of me by a half mile or so, most always within view. They made their own trail by cutting about every switch back. At first I didn't give it much thought, but as the descent continued it started to wear me down observing the total disregard for the intended trail. Perhaps I thought less of them because their pants were always falling off their butts', further diminishing my afternoon stroll back to the car. :moon:

Makes me wonder if it's the day hikers/newbies that should be made to obtain permits and lectures rather than more experienced and respectful back country travelers. :-k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Watch out for old grinches

Post by markskor »

One of the few benefits of getting older (besides looking rugged-er) - is being dead-on-certain when encountering Sierra asinine stupidity. Being large and grinch-like (and a long time Sierra dirt-bag), you get to call them out, right there...cutting switchbacks, bad attitude, and disrespect. As Mike mentioned, "Tact is not our strong-point"...nor should it be.

Someone has to speak up...doesn't do a whole lot of good to see, ignore, walk away, say nothing at the time but write about it later. It's easy to talk about Sierra respect here on HST... but -

We all see it...why not, at least, (first ask nicely - why?) - then say something, maybe might make a difference? Rangers are in short supply. Are we not the keepers?
Mountainman who swims with trout
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Re: Watch out for old grinches

Post by sparky »

Agree completely, but for us urban dwellers we are simply taught to mind our own business. Not saying its right, but the roots run deep. My significant other is not urban raised and yes she has no problem berating strangers for stupid/rude behavior.

She'd fit right in.