Sabrina Basin, help me pick a destination lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Sabrina Basin, help me pick a destination lake

Post by oleander »

Let's say you have 6 days, but are sort of slow-moving (not more than 10 miles/day on trail; 4 miles off-trail).

What would be your choice destination lake(s) in Sabrina Basin if your priorities were,

- Solitude,
- Extraordinary alpine/lake scenery,
- Excellent swimming, and
- The x-country can't be too hard-core, as we'll have a scared-of-heights person with us. No harder than easy Class 2.

With six days, there should be time to explore more than one of the strings of lakes in Sabrina Basin. On the other hand, maybe we'll move super-slowly and just fully enjoy one single string of lakes, perhaps reaching one of the higher-altitude lakes at around 11,500 (assuming again that the x-country is reasonable).

No fishing. No peak-bagging.

- Elizabeth
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Sabrina Basin, help me pick a destination lake

Post by giantbrookie »

Of the lakes in Sabrina Basin, I think the most scenic is Hungry Packer Lake, even if one includes the high and rugged Echo Lake. I haven't been to the chain of lakes that includes Fishgut Lakes, but they always looked like a nice little hideaway. I think I like the scenery in the western chain (ie Dingleberry-Topsy Turvy-Moonlight-Hungry Packer) a bit more than the eastern chain (Blue-etc.). The core areas (Blue-Dingleberry etc.) tend to have a lot of people but these destinations and the basin in general has a lot of nooks and crannies where you can get a nice site for your group with seclusion. If you like swimming, this is probably best at a shallower (this means warmer) and lower lake such as Dingleberry but this is one of the more crowded destinations (Hungry Packer sees far fewer people).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I agree with GB that Hungry Packer Lake is most scenic lake in the basin. Also the waterfall going out of Echo is nice too. Blue Heaven Lake is also pretty cool.

Texan
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ExploreABitMore »

My favorite up there is Sailor Lake. I think it's a bit better than Hungry Packer Lake, but only by a little and mainly because I like the view of Picture Peak better from Sailor. Not sure if either are the best for solitude. You'd probably get more of that at Moonlight or Echo Lake, although Echo is pretty sparse on sites. Don't know what the views are like or how hard it is to get there, but I've always been curious about Fish Gut Lakes. Probably some solitude up there.

Picture Peak from Sailor Lake

Picture Peak from Hungry Packer Lake
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

Baboon Lakes are a good choice. Don't see many people up there and there are some nice sites. Here is the view from a favorite site. This pic is from June. With 6 days you could get to this area and the Hungry Packer side too. Image
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Although I love Hungry Packer Lk, campsites are very limited. There are many more choices at Moonlight and the surrounding area.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sailor Lake is tops for photography, Hungry Packer is nice, Moonlight Falls is gorgeous, if there is a good volume of water flowing. Bottleneck Lake is pretty, and can be accessed from Dingleberry Lakes, xcountry route (easy class 2 scramble). Emerald Lakes and Donkey Lake is pretty nice too, and worth visiting.
The other higher lakes are more desolate, rugged, and to close to the crest, but worth a seeing if you have the time.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org