Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
ToothlessMountaineer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by ToothlessMountaineer »

Hobbes wrote:I'll keep my eyes posted for you. In fact, if you reversed your hike, you could check out this path to WLB/Wallace (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9783&p=86737#p86737), hike down Kern cyn & over to the meet-up, and then head up to the Kern basin/out with our motley crew.
I've been itching for an excuse to climb Tyndall and I sure wish I'd known about Rockwell Pass 3 years ago - thanks for the suggestion. I have an extra day to get back out, but I'd be happy to tag along in the Kern Basin. I've only been to Lake South America, which like Wallace I visited too late in the season to even see a single fish.
Hobbes wrote:You can see this lake from Newcomb - the GT were hitting like brookies

Happy to stand corrected
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

At this moment, because of work, hope to make Island Lake by the afternoon of the 23rd, maybe, which better be the case, since those who have chimed in here, or PMed me, plan to have moved on before the 24th, was hoping that everyone would be heading out the morning of the 24th, guess I better be prepared for the possibilty of solo Meet-up party.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Jim, his two buddies and myself are planning on arriving @ the meet-up spot the afternoon of Thurs, 7/23. The next day, Fri 7/24, we're only heading up to the Kern basin (4+- hrs), so I don't expect we'll be leaving until around lunch time.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I'll post my precise itinerary in a few days. But yes, I too noticed that Jimr, Hobbes, Mav, etc. will not be present until the afternoon of the 23rd, and some are leaving on the 24th. So, Island Lake on the night of the 23rd is my plan! (And possibly, the night of the 22nd as well.)

Is anyone else interested in camping at Picket Creek Lake and/or in Red Spur Basin in the days leading up to the meet-up at Island Lake? Once I get some things firmed up, I'll post the days and the locations where you can find me at PCL and RSB.

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My hope is that those of you who have never been to KB before, take advantage of visiting Picket Creek Lake (the last one to the east), it is one of the prettiest waterholes in the Sierra, and you should not miss it!

Also to the south of the Meet-up lake, over the shoulder of Red Spur (cross at around 11000 ft), is one of the most isolated, and beautiful lakes basin in the Sierra, with enchanting views of the Sierra Crest and the Whitney complex, this too should not be missed.

Both PCL and RSB are very close by, everyone attending should take advantage of this, especially since we will be in such close proxitmiy to both of these goregous locations!

May be able to boogey out of the BA very early Tuesday morning, if I can get to SEKI, get a permit, and be on the trail before 9:30, I will be in KB by Wed. :)

Is anyone leaving out of Crescent Meadow on Sunday or Monday morning?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am planning on being in the vicinity of the meetup sometime on Monday or Tuesday, probably going to Picket area first, then Red Spur lakes, then back to Island lake no later than Thursday morning. With my slow rate of travel, I have to get going from island lake on Friday morning to get to the car late Sunday afternoon. See ya there. Carrying a green ULA catalyst, and wearing brown felt hat. Hopefully with the HST patch sewn on the pack.

Richard
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

maverick wrote: Both PCL and RSB are very close by, everyone attending should take advantage of this, especially since we will be in such close proxitmiy to both of these goregous locations!
You have me convinced! I'm stopping by those lakes before the meetup.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I am also planning on getting to Island Lake in the afternoon on Thurs, 07/23 then camping in upper KB late on Fri, 07/24 to get ready for an early start on PQC on Sat, 07/25. Looking forward to meeting some of the fine people here on HST:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oleander
Topix Expert

Nine Lakes meeting location (and extra spot on permit)

Post by oleander »

First I want to say that I have an extra spot on my July 18 Crescent Meadow permit. If anyone is still in need of a permit, you can walk in with me. You'd need to let me know by this Friday, the 10th as I'll be offline after that.

Secondly it looks like at least two of us (Rocky Road and me) are meeting up in Nine Lakes Basin - the first lake, the heart-shaped one - on eve of the 19th for a morning start over Pants Pass on the 20th. Look for an Asian man in a Tilley hat (RR) and the white woman in bright royal-blue gaiters (me). Any and all welcome!

Here's my more refined itinerary (ridiculously detailed when you consider what the weather is capable of messing up):

18: Crescent Meadow to Buck Creek
19: Buck Creek to first lake in Nine Lakes Basin
20: Nine Lakes Basin, and over Pants Pass to one of the lakes east/northeast of that pass. This is in the Kern-Kaweah Basin, somewhere on the walk between Pants Pass and the north side of Picket Guard Pass.
21: Over Picket Guard Pass to Picket Guard Lake
22: Walk past Island Lake and see if anyone from HST is there yet. Continue to Red Spur Basin. Camp at the first lake encountered over the shoulder; or on the northeastern side of the smaller lake just south of that first lake (good swimming per Maverick)
23: Explore Red Spur Basin; end up at Island Lake and camp there by afternoon
24: To Upper Kaweah Basin
25: Over Pyra-Queen Col to Hamilton Lake
26: Out to Crescent Meadow

Cheers,
Elizabeth
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I want to leave my car at Shepherd Pass, and then go to Horseshoe Meadows, where I have my entry permit. I am going to call Lone Pine Shuttle and inquire about being picked up at Shepherd Pass trailhead on Thursday morning, July 16th, and driven to Horseshoe. Anyone doing else doing Horseshoe to Shepherd- I am going thru Miter Basin.
The shuttle is cheaper if there is more than one person, or we could shuttle our own cars. ??

Richard