Trip Report: 2012 High Sierra Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Goat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report: 2012 High Sierra Trail

Post by Goat »

Back in 2012 I and 3 of my buddies from college got together to hike the HST from west to east. Three of us had done a 7 day trip in Glacier the year before. Two of us had backpacked in Yosemite in 2010 and Sequoia in 2009. One was on his first trip, using partly borrowed gear, we'll call him Pooper.

The fellas sorting gear and divvying up whiskey. Apparently some of them had gotten into the bottle on the way in.

First night camping at Buck Creek. Everyone settling in to the natural rhythms, and drinking whiskey or course.

Arrived at Hamilton Lake in the afternoon heat. After a swim, Em and I scrambled up the slopes to catch a view and scope the lake for fishing spots.

The incredible trail for tomorrow. Note the bear looking rock on the right, sweet.

Some bows for dinner.

The next day we hiked up to Precipice Lake, over the pass and back up to the meadows below Mt Kaweah.

The next morning. Exhausted, we had plunked down slopily at an existing fire ring near the meadows.

Down into the Kern

There are fish in there...

The cojones on this little guy! He'll be big someday.

Some nice rainbows. Maybe some Golden in em?

This night we had a feast. A little bit of lemon juice, olive oil, and sauteed garlic.

The next day on the way to Guitar Lake

Pooper looking to catch the first lunker Golden. No luck with this guitar.

The sunset gave us a nice show though.

The next day to the top of Whitney and down to the Portal. We since have come to call it the Butthole, after a few of us got violently sick that night. The Summit and east side of Whitney is by far the least pristine place on the route.
Last edited by Goat on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Trip Report: 2012 High Sierra Trail

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Are the photos not showing? They appear fine for me.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Can't see the photos
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Unfortunately not. :(

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

It should be fixed. I was using drop box, which gave me a weird URL. Switched over to Photobucket. Not too entertaining without the pictures, huh, haha.

Someone please confirm.

Thanks,
Nate
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That's much better Nate! :nod: