Thousand Island Lake Trails

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Canyonlands
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Thousand Island Lake Trails

Post by Canyonlands »

Hello from Germany !

i want to hike to Thousand Island Lake and stay there for one night. August 6
I have secured a permit for the High Trail from Agnew Meadows.
I do not know if i am allowed to use the river trail on my hike back August 7.
Do i have to return on the same trail i came in or can i make a loop out of it ?

Thank you
hybrid90
Topix Novice

Re: Thousand Island Lake Trails

Post by hybrid90 »

If I'm not mistaken, the permit can be used to hike the High Trail or River Trail. It shouldn't be a problem if you're coming back to Agnew Meadows... correct me if I'm wrong someone.

I've hike the River Trail last year to Ediza and it was an awesome hike. Have fun!!!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Your permit only applies to the first day on the trail. After that, you are free to explore, wander, and take whatever route you choose.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Canyonlands,

Welcome to HST! Your will be fine, since your entry and exit trailhead is the same, which in this case is Agnew Meadow. If you have time, an intro would be appreciated, danke: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rsm333
Topix Acquainted

Post by rsm333 »

Remember that last mile of up-hill, dusty trail on the way back to Agnew Meadows when using the River Trail. I personally like the High Trail much more...having done both many times.
Canyonlands
Topix Novice

Post by Canyonlands »

thank you all for the information.
i have been on the high trail in 2012 with a guided hike.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
HikeSierraNevada
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikeSierraNevada »

Consider taking the John Muir Trail on the return route. Instead of river forest and mosquitoes, you'll get open views and pass by some gorgeous lakes on the way - Garnet (twin of Thousand Island), Emerald, Ruby, and Shadow. Its about 12 miles instead of 8 miles on the return with a couple 400-ft climbs, but the extra effort is really worth it. Drop down from Shadow Lake to the River trail for the last few miles. Just did that exact loop (High Trail - JMT - River Trail) last weekend as an overnight trip with my wife and kids. Hard to beat this route anywhere in the Sierra for easy access, gentle grades, and fantastic scenery.
Canyonlands
Topix Novice

Post by Canyonlands »

thank you. i will take that into my. consideration :-)

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk