GoLite packs?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

GoLite packs?

Post by Baffman »

I've been toying with the idea of trying a GoLite pack. I know Skywalker uses one, but I don't know of anyone else. I use a Newstar from REI and like it just fine, but lighter sounds good. The problem I have is that I can't try it on and load it up before I make a decision. I'm worried it may not hold up. I know they're limited, but that may motivate me to get my pack even lighter. Are there any GoLite users with an opinion?

Rob
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I have the go-lite Trek (I think) that I used a few times. With anything over 25 lbs it hurts the hips and shoulders. For me it wasn't worth the weight. I normally carry 28-30 lbs.

I use the Kelty Flight, which is only a pound heavier and its pretty comfortable. I carried 38 lbs (12 days) and it was still comfortable. SnowDude uses the Kelty Cloud. Both packs are discontinued.

What area are you from? My pack probably won't fit you (S), but if you're in the area you can check it out.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

The Kelty Cloud may be discontinued but you can still get them from several places online. This site carries a lot of Kelty gear, some of it at very reasonable prices. Like many sites right now they have a lot of big discounts on womans gear.
Gary C.

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shopping.p ... 36f51c1011
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I have had a Gust for over 3 years now. Weight of it is 20 oz. I believe. It works fine. I have had up to 37 lbs. +or- a lb. or 2 when it is designed for 30 max and it dug my shoulders some. A lot has to do also with proper balance of your gear. Last summer I was at 30 lbs. with it and had no issues. With a hard canister in it you will get some cuts in that area. Mine is in great shape still except for those tiny cuts, but then I don't throw my stuff around.
Piece of cake.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I used to use the breeze for several years. The pack that I had held up pretty well to a lot of abuse I threw at it. It held more than the max weight relatively comfortably. My only complaint about it was the fabric - it was easily torn a few times when I placed/moved it on granite or while bushwacking.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

It sounds like my initial thoughts on these packs were accurate. They still have some appeal to me, but I'm pretty skeptical. I'll have to look around some more. There isn't anything wrong with my current pack anyway. I just know I can shed a couple of pounds with a lighter pack.

Snowy, thanks for the offer. I grew up in Independence, but work has brought me to the Reno/Sparks area.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I had a golite trek for a while too - it hurt my back and I gave it away.
genedavell
Topix Newbie

Post by genedavell »

i'm pretty new to backpacking, so maybe someone can explain how they can justify charging $750 for the Kelty Cloud on this web retailer?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

genedavell wrote:i'm pretty new to backpacking, so maybe someone can explain how they can justify charging $750 for the Kelty Cloud on this web retailer?
I'm new to backpacking also and that kind of price is way out of my league but doing a quick search it seems to be the standard price for that pack. Out of half a dozen hits I did find one at just over $650 but they only had one size to choose from.

To anser your question I would guess materials, suspension system and coming in at only 4lbs. 7ozs. for 5,250 cubic ins. has a lot to do with the price. The pice also probably has a lot to do with it being discontinued as Snow Nymph said.
Gary C.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Golite

Post by oldranger »

i have a couple of Golite Infinitypacks. I like the full frame sheet. In the winter i have one prepacked with about 15 lbs of extra clothes and 10 essentials for x Country skiing and walks in the desert. In the summer I pack it a little different (add fishing gear) for day hikes in the Cascades.

Then I use the same pack for trips as long as 9 days in the Sierra. I start out with about 36-38 lbs and carry an ursack hybrid inside, with rod, tent, and Big Agnes airmattress externally. It is the first time I have been able to comfortably use a single pack for all my uses.

Durability is an issue and I have heard of one coming apart. After two extended trips in the sierra and several weekend trips the hip belt of one pack began to detach. My future son in law is a smoke jumper and handy with a sewing machine so I had him reinforce both packs. Going lighter but still bringing some comfort along has extended my backpacking life substantially and I'm looking forward to another Sierra trip this summer.

mike