JMT resupply question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cherron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

JMT resupply question

Post by cherron »

Newbie here,
Does anyone know if the Ranger at Charolette Lake will allow me to put a resupply in the drum behind the ranger quarters? I would rather hike it in a couple of weeks before my trip and give the ranger a nice donation ;) rather than pay a packer.
Thanks for any advice!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Skibum????? He can answer this question.

Cherron, when we did the JMT our friends hiked our food in for us. We saw a lot of food in the bear boxes that mice got into. They climb thru those tiny holes and chew thru everything.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Post by cherron »

Thanks, Snownymph

One year we had some friends who were going to pack us in a resupply, but weather and sickness kept them off the mountain, so we were sort of in a bind, to say the least. I agree, leaving food in the bear boxes is not a good idea, and that is not my intent.

I was hoping to use the 55 gallon drum that is sometimes used by the packers to make a drop at the ranger cabin. That is sealed pretty tight. I did pay a packer once to make a drop for me at this location and their service was great...just pricey ($350 Yikes!). I am hoping they dropped it on their way in for something else as opposed to making the trail more dusty hauling in my stuff only.

My preference would be to just take care of it myself and know it is there waiting for me.

Thanks for the referral to Skibum.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Greetings Cherron,

Call me here in the park and I will explain your options. :thumbsup:

559 565-4336

Skibum
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Post by cherron »

Thanks to everyone for the great information and for this forum!
Everyone is very nice!

Cherron