Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cefdc9
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by cefdc9 »

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for several years now, checking the trip reports to get information about the trail conditions. Here is a quick intro: I grew up in Switzerland, where I did a lot of hiking. Our version of backpacking is the hut to hut version (no heavy backpack to carry). I moved to the Bay Area more than 10 years ago where I discovered the joy of backpacking: true wilderness, wildlife (we are lucky if we see a deer in Switzerland), and great weather. I extend the summer backpacking season, with winter trips (hut, tent, or snow shelter). I also sometimes backpack in other states (ID, NV) or countries (New Zealand, Australia).

I will write my first TR soon.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Cefdc9,

Thank for taking the time to write up an intro. We enjoy Sierra TR's, but also trips to parks outside of the Sierra, and from beyond our shores too, in the "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the main forum page (from places like Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia). ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
notdarkyet
Topix Novice

Post by notdarkyet »

Greetings,

I've been reading the sections of HST for about a month. Someone over at the San Gorgonio Backcountry board mentioned this forum, and since the trails of the San Gorgonio Wilderness are closed, and most likely, will remain closed for some time due to the Lake Fire, I thought I'd check out this forum. What a great resource you have here! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the backpacking and gear posts as well as various trail reports.

Last month I ventured on a day hike over Cottonwood Pass to Chicken Spring Lake. This month I have a short backpack over Kearsarge pass planned as well as a week-long backpack out of Mineral King. I look forward to meeting all of you out on the trail (but hopefully not at the same time). O:)

JT
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JT,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the nice intro. :thumbsup: Hope you have a great trip out of MK, and that you will post a TR here, so we can read about you aventure.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
starankle hiker
Topix Novice

Post by starankle hiker »

A little about myself, 53 years old and just getting back into some backpack trips. Used to go when I was in my late teens - early twenties. Then career, kids, two broken legs and crushed ankles and a wife that had no interest. Well now I have 2 new ankles left one is a cadaver ankle 7 years ago(does not work to good) and the right one is a artificial on 1.5 years ago works ok, and a new wife that love the back country as much as me. Although limited to 5-6 miles a day due to pain in my ankles its all good, pain is temporary the memories last forever.

Cheers Steve
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hey, Steve, welcome to the HST! One heck of an intro as well. Glad you're here and back at the Sierra.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, welcome to HST Steve! Quite an ordeal you have been thru, but it is great to see the human spirit prevail, and that you can continue to enjoy the place you love!

Canyonlands
Topix Novice

Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Canyonlands »

hello from germany.
i joined this forum today to prepare for some hikes in august.
it is my 6th visit to yosemite and my third time on the eastern side of the sierra nevada.
on my last visits i did mostly day hikes but i also joined two guided hikes.
the first in 2009 was the high sierra loop to the high sierra camps in yosemite.
i can only recommend this hike. the scenery is amazing and so is the food and the hospitality in the camps. it saved the stress of carrying a large backpack.
my second guided trip 2012 was with reds meadow pack station from agnew meadows to tuolumne meadows over donahue pass and lyell canyon.
also amazing scenery.
for 2015 i plan to do my first backpacking trips on my own.

thanks for creating this great forum

Gesendet von iPad mit TapatalkImageImage
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks you for coming back and writing up this great intro, and for including those pictures, really like the 1000 Is Lake one. :thumbsup:
Hope we will be able to help in your future plans, especially once you plan going solo, that is why we exist. ;)

Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Hello Sierra loving people. My fondness for the range of light stems from family camping and hiking trips as a child in the 90s. Sequoia, Yosemite, and particularly a day hike to Pear Lake are striking memories. We moved to Florida before my teenage years, and I hadn't been back (nor anywhere mountainous really) by the end of college more than a decade later. I changed that with my first backpacking trip in 2008, a four night loop up to Pear and Moose lakes with a trip up Alta Peak. Something woke up in me on that trip. I realized that the Sierra, and mountains and wild places in general, were in my blood.

We followed up the Sequoia trip with a 5 nighter in Yosemite, and a 6 nighter in Glacier, always fishing and scrambling up to the high places for a look. In 2012 we hiked the High Sierra Trail. I've gotten myself into climbing and mountaineering as well. My partnership has shifted from college buddies to my soon to be wife, a Floridian who is discovering that the world is not flat. I am lucky to have found someone who shares an affinity for physical exertion and beautiful places (I'm still working on the whole not-showering thing).

I look forward to learning learning from and contributing to the community.

Nate (Goat)