Backpacking With Grizzlies

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking With Grizzlies

Post by schmalz »

I backpacked with my wife in Glacier 12 years ago. Back then, you had to camp at designated sites and they had specific spots to hang your food. You had to camp exactly where you had a permit for that specific night, so there is no freedom to roll with the punches so to speak. It all felt highly regulated. I didn't sleep very well. :paranoid:
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

My wife jut sent me this photo from the Jasper park lodge's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/FairmontJasperParkLodge

You gotta be kidding me. I can just picture myself cowering with my arm outstretched trying to spray a Griz. If you never hear from me again after our Aug trip, you'll know why. [-o<

Note: this is will be our 3rd trip up there in the last 10 years. Our first time there together (I'd been once before as a kid on a series of cross-country roadtrips to NY back in the 70s), we clued into one of the more popular activities, which is to drive to known meadow viewing spots along the road (literally right around and/or just outside town) around dusk and watch the show unfold. As I mentioned up-thread, the French term for wildlife is "animal sauvage" - I mean, how perfect is that? The bi-lingual signs warn to stay in your car, which is exactly what we do.

PS Here's little Red Riding hood's grandma:

Part of me wonders if I'm just a kook who's getting into an environment way more "real" than the Sierra. With the exception of pesky second order predator/scavengers like black bears & coyotes, the Sierra are devoid of true top-tier apex predators (not to mention elk, moose and other large animals with impressive antler points) and possible consequences resulting from impromptu "meet & greets" with said fauna.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Yup no grizzly or wolves, but the mountain lions are nothing to shake a stick at. I've seen some large tracks :eek:

Enjoy...and be safe :thumbsup:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

You can also be a wimp like me and stay at backcountry lodges, Sperry and granite Chalets in glacier, several in canada. Kathy and I are hiking into Skoki lodge near lake Louise after Labor Day this year. Spending 4 nights sleeping in secure lodge, meals cooked for us,a little more of our kids inheritance down the tubes!
We carry the large bear spray canisters during the day when out and about.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!