Planning for a Minaret Loop and lots of lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Planning for a Minaret Loop and lots of lakes

Post by Beantown »

I would like to do a loop around the minarets and visit a lot of the lakes. Looking at HST maps, Google earth and cal topo, I came up with this. I'm looking for advice on the route I have mapped out.

http://caltopo.com/m/4P2R

I am wondering about Ritter Pass to lake 3377 if the way i mapped out is good. I would like to stick with Class 2. I also want to bag banner and ritter. So ax and crampons would be needed for this trip.

I have been to northern glacier pass before from 1000 island lake, along the JMT, and Ediza, that is all i know of the area. I think the route I have mapped out is good, can anyone whos been here have any advice for the route? How about getting to iron lake, is that class 2?

Instead of returning to reds meadow, I may go to the gem lake area and exit at June Lake. Is there a shuttle between June and Mammoth if i needed to get back mammoth?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning for a Minaret Loop and lots of lakes

Post by markskor »

Beantown wrote: Instead of returning to Reds Meadow, I may go to the gem lake area and exit at June Lake. Is there a shuttle between June and Mammoth if i needed to get back mammoth?
Starting July 1, YARTS passes through the June Lake Loop 3X daily - Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne to Mammoth, on the regular 395/ 120 route (Google for schedule times and exact pick-up locations). FYI, only picks up passengers at 2 places - at June Mountain parking lot and Silver Lake campground - along this loop. Costs ~ $5 each to various Mammoth locations.

(BTW, be punctual - will not pick up passengers anywhere unless at these 2 regular stops/ cannot "flag down" a YARTS anywhere else on the June Lake Loop.)...I have tried.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »

Beantown wrote:I would like to stick with Class 2.
We followed Roper's advice on the climb to Cecile, which is class 3, but trivial, just two 10' sections. It's straight up the valley, not following the curve of the creek, and the use trail is pretty obvious. If you really didn't want to do that, there may be a class 2 route by going halfway up the valley then climbing to the right and back, up to that pond.

I think we descended to Iceberg too far to the east—not from the outlet where you drew it—because we ended up in a nasty scree chute. Not recommended.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

what is Roper's advice, I am not familiar with that. small short sections of class 3 would be fine. thanks
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »

Beantown wrote:what is Roper's advice
https://books.google.com/books/about/Th ... vYWJ2IBMEC
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"I am wondering about Ritter Pass to lake 3377"

Me too. Everything is pretty loose up there. You could find yourself on solid talus or be up to your committed level in rock slide. I'd be willing to bet the latter based on both sided of Ritter Pass. Hopefully, you will be able to find intel from somebody who has been that route.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Looks like it should be a cool trip. Wondering if anyone has an unofficial (or possibly official) name for the lake just west of south notch?
canyonfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by canyonfish »

Looks like the makings of a great trip. I've been over Ritter pass from Dike Creek over to Ediza. Class 2 if I remember correctly. Loose rock is the biggest risk, we went one at a time for the top section. Toward the top I remember climbing the side of the chute to find firm rock. Definitely seems an easier pass to tackle from West to East if memory serves. No beta on the second "pass" north of Minaret toward Catherine. Looks doable on the topo though.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

"I am wondering about Ritter Pass to lake 3377"
Jimr
Me too. Everything is pretty loose up there. You could find yourself on solid talus or be up to your committed level in rock slide. I'd be willing to bet the latter based on both sided of Ritter Pass. Hopefully, you will be able to find intel from somebody who has been that route.

I've been to Ritter Pass from Ediza Lake on a day hike. The snow field at the base is low-angled and not an issue. We angled up on loose small talus to a very steep and loose sandy chute leading to the top. It was hard to get a grip with either my hands or feet and I slid a little at one point, which was scary. I thought of retreating back to the talus but made it up. It looked pretty steep on the other side (couldn't see down very far), but we didn't go over the pass (which is a small notch). Beautiful up there, though.
Last edited by SweetSierra on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Ritter Pass is more class 3, maybe 2-3, if you take your time finding the easiest route possible, but it can go class 4 and higher if you go off route. The west side of the pass is very loose and dangerous. Have not done the Ritter Lakes to Ritter Pass route, looking north from the Ritter Pass area last year, it is doable, but expect a field of loose rock to negotiate.

Dyke Lakes are very pretty, and offers all the solitude you could want. Have been there twice, once recently with Jim on a day hike, it is especially pretty at sunset.

The route to Iron Lake can be reached by gaining access to the hanging valley northwest above Ashley Lake, from where the inlet creek emanates from, it is a class 2 route, and puts you down just north of Iron Lake, which is beautiful, and rarely visited.

Mradford wrote:
Looks like it should be a cool trip. Wondering if anyone has an unofficial (or possibly official) name for the lake just west of south notch?
It is called Amphitheater Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org