Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ToothlessMountaineer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by ToothlessMountaineer »

It's about time I got to posting here!

I'm a lifelong Californian, and I've been visiting the Sierra since I was a kid. My parents found out about Virginia Lakes and Mono Lake after the bears were getting too nosy for their tastes around SEKI, and I've spent at least part of every summer for the past two decades out on the Eastside. I'm now up to my 6th summer in the Eastern Sierra plus another on the West Side and by now I have multiple lifetimes of places to explore and check out. Since moving to the Eastside a few years ago, I've come to appreciate just how much more magnificent the Sierra is once you start noticing how the ecology, geology, weather, and people all work together over years and eons to make this such a special place. I've been backpacking on and off predominately in the summer since 2008 and nowadays try to get a weeklong and as many weekend trips as I can before ski season sets in.

3 years ago I finally got my life's priorities in order to set out on the JMT. My route could more appropriately be called a John Muir Trek, since I took 12 major and a few minor side trips off the trail to fly fish, climb, and explore...and that was just between Whitney and Red's Meadow, where I had to bail after injuring myself rock hopping while fishing near Seven Gables. Don't worry, I'll be submitting a proper TR soon enough. I wish I'd known about HST back then, although I had come across giantbrookie's site in my first summers in the Sierra nearly a decade ago. By now I've fished over a hundred backcountry lakes, maybe I'm getting close to being 1/10 the Sierra rambler he is! :lol:

Here's to the insufficient thanks I have to give for all the wisdom and beta I've picked up from lurking out here, and to giving back some of my own! :drinkers:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi TM,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the intro, glad you weren't injured to bad, that area doesn't get tons of usage, mostly folks on there was to Vee Lake and beyond.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bubba
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Bubba »

Greetings.

My name's Bill; my grandkids call me "Bubba" 'cause I'm too young to be called grandpa. You should call me that, too. Definitely not "Grandpa."

I've been reading stuff here for years, not sure if I ever posted before.

I'm a frequent visitor to the Sierra. Around 10 trips a year. 2 nights usually. Used to do peak bagging (up to Class 3) and some snowshoeing. Heart issues slowed me down. Took up trout fishing last year (Tenkara). I counted them up and figure I visited 50 lakes last year, fishing the majority.

I tend to wander off-trail. Most of my trips involve taking some kind of shortcut. Mostly to avoid having to do more uphill than absolutely necessary and to get to more interesting places.

I decided to post so I can earn access to the top-secret areas on the Fishing Hole :-).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hi Bubba,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the Intro. Looks like you have been doing enough interesting Sierra trips that maybe you could post some TR's, or even points of view on existing topics? You know, be part of the community here?
I decided to post so I can earn access to the top-secret areas on the Fishing Hole :-).
This is not an OK reason. contribute. Let me elaborate on that point a bit. Some bonds are made between board members here either via the board, behind the scenes via PM, or full on meet ups. We share the experience of being out there, Sierra. We learn from each other and together sometimes. This isn't just a "we feed it and others get the info" relationship. Just saying. Give something back.

Russ
deenad
Topix Acquainted

Post by deenad »

Hello! My name is Deena, and I am a 49 year old hiking enthusiast, that has been in love with the Eastern Sierra since I was a baby! My family has been coming here for three generations, and I now live part time in the Bay Area, and part time in Independence, CA!
I am slow, and have few injuries, but have recently become a solo backpacker! I a in love with my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 tent that weighs in at 2 lbs 3 oz. :) I also have a big agnes sleeping bag that I just bought and I hiked into the North Fork of Big Pine Creek and slept 10 hours!
I recently hiked with my wife up to Robinson lake from Onion Valley. What a great afternoon hike! I highly recommend it! much less travelled than Kearsarge pass.....
Thanks for having this site! You'll be hearing more from me!

xo Deena Davenport-Conway
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Deena,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the enthusiastic introduction, many of us not only share your love for the Eastern Sierra, but for the Sierra as whole. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikingGeek.com »

I just recently learned about this forum (not sure how I missed it), but I am quite active on several others (WPSMB, WhitneyZone, MtSanJacinto.info).

I post my trip reports and photos and several places, including:
http://www.hikinggeek.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HikingGeek
https://twitter.com/TheHikingGeek
https://instagram.com/hikinggeek/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqxY-7 ... n8GSvyp7Ag

I live in SoCal now, but will be relocating to New England soon. Hoping to get up to the Sierra a few times more before leaving and am already planning trips coming back from the east coast.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for taking the time to write up this intro HikingGeek. :thumbsup:

A Traveler
Topix Newbie

Post by A Traveler »

Hi everyone, east-coaster here who has been looking at this forum for several months and reading through lots of the interesting and amazing information everyone is able to provide. As I have never had the opportunity to visit the Sierra’s, this forum has allowed me to live vicariously through so many of you.

Fortunately, this will change as I am making my first trip to the area in September with my dad and two friends. HST has been a great resource in helping plan the route we are considering and I anticipate requesting some feedback/advice on that route shortly. Regardless of where we end up going, a TR will certainly be posted

As a side note, I am addicted to fly fishing and cannot wait to try my luck at catching some golden trout.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi A Traveler,

Welcome to HST! You better start saving, because after your first trip to the Sierra in September, you will be hooked, and coming back for more, and more, and more. :)