Wishon to Tunemah -- critique my route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Wishon to Tunemah -- critique my route

Post by AaronRDavis »

http://caltopo.com/m/6C2N

Hoping to get to Portal Lake by the end of day 1. How does this route look? I know from other threads that some here are pretty experienced with this area. Anything you would suggest or caution about this route? Is there a better way to get to Tunemah?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wishon to Tunemah -- critique my route

Post by RoguePhotonic »

You may not want to climb up to Mantel Pass where you have it noted. I don't think I have a photo of that hillside but I remember thinking it looked very over grown when I briefly thought that was my way up. If you take the drainage up to Hummingbird lake staying on the North side of the creek and the lake it's very easy.

Dykeman Pass you can leave the pass and angle across towards Tunemah before dropping into Alpine Creek and it's pretty easy. No need to drop straight down and have to do more climbing that you have to.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Rogue,
Thanks for the tips. I edited the route to reflect your suggestions.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by gabe&mel »

Looks like a really nice route, I especially like the starting elevation as compared to Rancheria Creek TH, the next time I head out to Woodchuck I will take advantage of it.

I see that the USGS topo indicates the road is a "restricted road," so where do you plan on parking?

Having never used Caltopo before I was inspired by your route and have been toying around with if for awhile and am impressed with its versatility.

Thanks,

Gabe
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

gabe&mel wrote: I see that the USGS topo indicates the road is a "restricted road," so where do you plan on parking?

Good question. I've never been up the road that far, although I hoped to get some feedback here from any that have. If not, I may head up to day hike and scout the first part of this route before I actually go on the trip.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I think the road you want to start on is gated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I think the road you want to start on is gated.
Yes, that is a restricted road.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Unfortunately the offsite photos including the map scan are not up for my "Tunechuck" trip of 2008, but I would suggest a more direct day 1 route which is to go out of Hoffman Mtn. The written description (sans images) is at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3205&hilit=Tunechuck

On day 1 by this route you can hike the same amount as your Rancheria route and be in upper Blue Canyon on the end of day 1. As it was I had some digestive issues and had to stop below Hummingbird L. at the end of day 1. At minimum I think the Hoffman Mtn kickoff route can get you to Hummingbird on day 1 (provided you don't have digestive bonking issues as I did).

As an aside I just took my family out of Hoffman Mtn last weekend and went to Woodchuck L by going 100 percent off trail from the kickoff. This was my 3rd time taking off from there. On my return (after my first route finding gaffe in the three trips overshooting the car and having to hike 400+ feet back up--didn't make my family too happy) I was amazed to see another vehicle there. I've never seen another vehicle there before. The "Tunechuck" entry route only follows a short section of the trail below Chuck Pass then diverges permanently from trailed country by essentially contouring along the side of the drainage until below Hummingbird hence up to Mantle Pass thence to Blue Canyon.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little confused. Where is the "Hoffman mountain" entry point? Wouldn't it be the restricted road (I edited my route with a dotted line showing the spot on that road I'd like to start from, just West of Hoffman mountain).
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

Aaron GB posted a map on his recent TR

viewtopic.php?t=13012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk