When does the JMT/PCT get the most traffic?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

When does the JMT/PCT get the most traffic?

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

I'm planning a hike that will incorporate the JMT this summer, anywhere between May and August. Snow levels are my first concern, but I'd also like to hike when less people are out. I'm not looking for solitude, but I don't want to pass through during the peak weeks either.

I was thinking near June 20th would be good. I'd be in with the PCT hikers, but I imagine they would pass me pretty quickly. From most journals, it seems late July and Early August is the peak period.

I'll still have to wait for the snow to make up it's mind, but I've read that June 15 was the accepted date to leave Kennedy Meadows. I added a few days, as I'll be starting from Crabtree Meadows (taking the HST in).
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

We did the JMT in Aug 22-Sept 22, 2001.

We had 1 day of snow flurries (9/11 on Split Mountain) and 1 day of rain (9/3 or 9/4 dropping into Muir Ranch). Other than that weather was great. We didn't see too many people once we left Yosemite. We saw people again around the Whitney area. We were out during 9/11/01 so there were times we didn't see anyone for a few days.

I'm usually snowboarding in June, so I can't help with that timeframe.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

Depending on what section you are planning, August is usually the peak time. I hiked the trail S->N in 2004 starting on July 30th and will warn you that high passes will most likely have snow. Especially with all these late storms Cali is getting those high passes will most likely be snowy until mid July. I would suggest doing as snownymph did, late Aug-Sept sees a great decrease in traffic in the Sierras, but the weather is usually really nice. What section are you planning to cross?
Eric
PS I got snowed on 1/2" in early July, it'll snow anytime up there.
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

EricJLee wrote:Depending on what section you are planning, August is usually the peak time. I hiked the trail S->N in 2004 starting on July 30th and will warn you that high passes will most likely have snow. Especially with all these late storms Cali is getting those high passes will most likely be snowy until mid July. I would suggest doing as snownymph did, late Aug-Sept sees a great decrease in traffic in the Sierras, but the weather is usually really nice. What section are you planning to cross?
Eric
PS I got snowed on 1/2" in early July, it'll snow anytime up there.
I don't have any plans set in stone since I am waiting to see what the snow situation will be like. Last year was my first year out there and it was a very heavy year. I didn't get into the backcountry until late June, and even then it was only to lower elevations. But people were out there doing it.

I know the earliest recommended date to leave Kennedy Meadows for a PCT hiker is June 15, so I figure it'll be a few more days before you should be attempting the high passes. Who knows what it'll look like this year, but the low snow (so far) looks favorable for an earlier start.

My plans are still in the works, but I plan on doing the HST from the west side, going up Whitney (if possible, not too terribly important though), resupplying at the Portal, and then going back over Trail Crest and doing the JMT to Yoesmite. From there I may head north, I may hike around Yosemite for a few days, or I may leave. If I start early enough, I may take the PCT to Oregon. I also have family near Lake Tahoe, so I may hike up there.

I have no problem carrying an ice ax. I'll have warm clothing and a decent tent as well. I can find my way around okay with a map and compass, but not for days on end. I've never crossed any high passes, snow or not.

I'd like to have some snow, but I don't want to be postholing for days on end.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Really depends on the snowpak. Late July & August for sure.

What say you George?
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

Skibum wrote:Really depends on the snowpak. Late July & August for sure.

What say you George?
I was hoping he would chime in. The PCTers and JMTers all pass Crabtree Meadows.
gdurkee
Founding Member

JMT

Post by gdurkee »

If you don't mind maybe grunting over some snow, start around the first or second week of July. It stays pretty quiet in most places until about the 3rd week (say, the 20th or so). Even then, the "crowding" on the JMT is kind of overrated. Certain areas get kind of congested (Crabtree; Woods Creek; Little Yosemite Valley etc.). But overall it's not bad even in August.

Really no telling about the snow. At the moment, it's below average, but just when you assume it's a drought year, you get dumped on. By mid-April, you can at least tell if it's a heavy year or not, but no predicting the melt if it's above average at that point.

May is really too early, except in an extreme drought year. Also, I hate to say it, but those PCT people drive me absolutely buggy. They've got a schedule and tunnel vision. I think I may have repeated this elsewhere, but last year a guy was bemoaning his fate because he might have to spend a "zero day" at McCllure Meadow. I've spent around 800 zero days at McClure and it's still nowhere near enough.

So I wouldn't want to spend too much time hiking around them... .

Have a great trip!

g.
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

Thanks for the insight George. As I said, I'm sure the PCTers will pass by quickly. I have all summer and no real goals (ie, Canada) so I'll be sure to zero at McClure.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Last year my brother and I went northbound on the JMT (Whitney to Red's Meadow) from the end of July through the first part of August. Since it was a big snow year, we hit it pretty much after most of the snow was gone on the major passes. A lot of traffic up Whitney and a lot near the Florence Lake trailheads as that was the weekend timing. We counted over 70 people we ran into one day on I believe a Friday. Other days we were lucky to see 4 groups of people and those were either early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Everyone setting up for the next pass or going over the pass in the morning. There were times were would go for 5 to 6 hours without seeing anyone.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

June usually equals bugs. If you can start in late august, I think that is the best weather. June/july and early august are the usual thunderstorm season, late august they are usually gone. I went the last week of august and the first two weeks of Sept. and had no rain at all, hardly any bugs, and not very many people. The more of your trip that is after labor day the fewer people you will see.