TR: Tehipite Valley - 5/29/15 - 5/31/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Tehipite Valley - 5/29/15 - 5/31/15

Post by Jimr »

@Turtleggjp
I never saw the bog. We went downstream from the trail end and stayed in the forest section down there. A bit farther down stream from there, I noticed a more formal camping area with cut logs for sitting on, the works, but we were already camped.

On the way out, as the trail goes up stream and past the first run you see, we went upward away from the river to meet up with the helicopter. We probably went around the bog. The water was pretty low in July 2012 and the river above was down to several stringers that converged at the run, then where we camped, turned into a perfect place to hang out with a nice flowing deep section. It was hot down there, but on the river, it was very comfortable. We could not comfortably be in the tent until the sun went down, but it didn't matter because the river was where it was at.

I think about that trip often, but can't quite describe my feelings about it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

Yeah, I really wish I'd had more time to explore down there. I'm hoping I can plan for a layover day when I get back there again. I couldn't believe how fast the time went down there. And here I thought I might be bored for part of the day.

By the way, although I took a few pictures with my DSLR camera, all the pictures I posted here were frames from my video that I shot with my new video camera this year, a Panasonic HC-X1000. Yes, I hauled that beast all the way out there and back. I only used the DSLR camera at the really pretty spots, like the overlook and in the valley looking up at Tehipite Dome. I reduced all the pictures down to half size (Full HD), since I didn't know if there was a size limitation on posting pictures. That's also how I was able to get such close up views of the bear, and the waterfalls on the other side of the canyon (20x optical zoom). If I ever get around to setting up a Vimeo account, I'll be sure to post the video there. Meanwhile, anyone who'd like to see some clips from the video (full size, or otherwise), just PM me and I'll try to arrange to get it to you.

Matt
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

No wonder your daypack was heavy. A DLSR and video? I noticed the waterfall shots were caught using digital zoom. There's a certain look to digital zooming.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by gabe&mel »

@Turtleggjp

I only wish I descended with a day pack! One member of our party must of been carrying ~ 60 lbs and he was pretty close to chucking his pack off the side of mountain after slipping for the 10th time on the leaves on the switchbacks.

We did see a bear in that same area as you. Likewise were ambushed by mosquitoes as well.

I keep reminding myself to write my TR of Tehipite but its always on the back burner. Thanks again for the photos, they bring back great memories.

Gabe
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

I've always carried a video camera along with my DSLR. However, my previous video camera was a Canon HF100, which is about the size of a can of soda. And no, that's not why my daypack was so heavy. I only put them in there when crossing Crown Creek (which is why I had to make more than 1 trip across). I normally carry the cameras over my shoulders, so I'm able to shoot quickly whenever I want. I feel a little like Rambo suiting up every time I strap everything on after a break where I've taken everything off.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

@turtleggjp
LOL, I can see the Rambo in that scenario.

@'gabe&mel'
I know the 60lb feeling going down that path. For a short time, it was 80lbs (carrying a pack on my back and the other in one hand).
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Captain Slappy »

Thanks for the detailed write up and especially the pictures of the trail conditions on the way down. I've always wanted to do this hike. Glad to hear it wasn't a Well of Souls-style snake pit. :D
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted

Post by Turtleggjp »

@'Captain Slappy'
I've always been curious about what the trail looks like too. I'm happy to be able to provide some visuals for others to be able to see. It's one of those things where you want to encourage others to visit the area, but if you encourage too many people to go down there, then you can potentially lose the feeling of solitude when you get there.

Matt
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It's one of those things where you want to encourage others to visit the area, but if you encourage too many people to go down there, then you can potentially lose the feeling of solitude when you get there.
To remote, just like Ionian Basin, Kaweah Basin, and even Dumbbell Basin, there are certain areas most folks are not going to go, majority of backpackers never leave the trails. Some areas have seen more usage because the SHR, but beyond that, there should not be to much worry that you will ever have crowds in these remote parts of the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Well Matt, I'm star-struck. What a bold trip and what a great report.