Sleeping pad inside your bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Sleeping pad inside your bag

Post by austex »

I've searched the topic and can only find reference to liners. Question is with a sleeping bag and what are the benefits/drawbacks from having a sleeping pad inside the bag compared to outside? With a quilt it's a moot point. The reason I ask it would help me to keep from sliding off my pad. I do use a tyvek sheet underneath regardless.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sleeping pad inside your bag

Post by rlown »

my neo air wouldn't fit in even the WM badger. I do thrash around at night, but I'll take any sleep I can get.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sierra Designs makes a sleeping bag, that includes a sleeve for your pad, so it does not move around during the night: http://www.sierradesigns.com/sleeping-bags/bed-style
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

One of Klymet's first pads used body mapping technology to design a pad that could fit inside a mummy bag. They contend that when lying on your back in a traditional bag, all the down is in fact, not compressed and useless.

I have heard one drawback to mating the pad and bag, if you like to sit up while still in the bag, the pad makes that posture a hassle.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I've got one of those Sierra Designs Backcountry beds and I really like it. I'm a thrasher at night and it's way more comfortable than a mummy bag. The sleeve that the pad goes into is only about halfway down, letting you curl up your legs. And there is no down on the bottom where the pad is attached, instead relying on the pad for insulation. And if you want to sit up, the "quilt" lets you do that too
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

robow8 wrote:I've got one of those Sierra Designs Backcountry beds and I really like it. I'm a thrasher at night and it's way more comfortable than a mummy bag. The sleeve that the pad goes into is only about halfway down, letting you curl up your legs. And there is no down on the bottom where the pad is attached, instead relying on the pad for insulation. And if you want to sit up, the "quilt" lets you do that too
Looking at the website, it looks like the bags are rated down to around 30 degrees. Do you find this to be accurate ?
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

The Other Tom wrote:
robow8 wrote:I've got one of those Sierra Designs Backcountry beds and I really like it. I'm a thrasher at night and it's way more comfortable than a mummy bag. The sleeve that the pad goes into is only about halfway down, letting you curl up your legs. And there is no down on the bottom where the pad is attached, instead relying on the pad for insulation. And if you want to sit up, the "quilt" lets you do that too
Looking at the website, it looks like the bags are rated down to around 30 degrees. Do you find this to be accurate ?
I've only had it for a few months so I'm not sure. I did have it on a car camping trip at Barton Flats here in southern California and it got cold enough to leave a layer of frost on everything. I slept plenty warm. I do use a Thermarest X-Therm mattress.