ponchos

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

ponchos

Post by alc101ma »

Hey Gang,

I normally just pack a light weight REI rain jacket but I want to replace that with a poncho that can also cover my pack. I have a tent so I don't need an expensive sil tarp/poncho combo or anything fancy.

So, is this a case of just get whatever because a simple poncho is just a simple poncho? It may be a stupid question but I figured I'd ask before spending money.
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ponchos

Post by sparky »

yeah just dont get the "emergency" ponchos. The thicker ones sold at your national chain sporting good stores or international evil empire stores for around 20$ usually weigh in around 10-14 oz, cover your pack and can last for a couple seasons if you are gentle with them as they tear easy. You wont be bushwacking with them on. They can handle some abuse though....mine double as a ground sheet occasionally during breaks as long as it is nice grass or sand or duff. I also will use it as extra insulation under my sleeping pad if its unusually cold
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by k9mark »

Its not fashionable, but my old military poncho and liner work just fine which you could pick up cheap at any surplus store
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by alc101ma »

Thanks. Just picked up a couple of Coghlans. Hopefully they just sit in the floating lid the whole time...
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp