Royce Lakes to Granite Park

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ccessna
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Royce Lakes to Granite Park

Post by ccessna »

Hi all, I really do want to contribute more to this board than questions, so this will be the year I post trip reports!

Our group is made up of level 3 backpackers that are comfortable with class 2/3 routes. We are probably not in our best shape entering this year's 5 day trip, but we'll make it work.

We are going to be doing a trip out of Pine Creek starting on 7/1. Night 1 at Honeymoon Lake. We'd like to go into Royce Lakes from Pine Creek Pass, spend 2 nights there, then go over into Granite Park. I have seen several descriptions of people heading south from Granite Park into the Royce Lakes basin, but I've not seen it described from south to north. From the topo map, it looks manageable, but I really want to get some more solid info because of the physical condition of one member of our group. Due to an arm limitation, doing lengthy stretches of difficult talus or much necessity for using all four limbs might prove too much. This might be easy or might be impossible or somewhere in between, but any info going from south to north into Granite Park would be very helpful. Thank you!.
paul
Topix Expert

Re: Royce Lakes to Granite Park

Post by paul »

There's some talus on the Royce lakes side of the ridge, but not too bad, and the granite park side is mostly slabby and pretty easy going.
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

The east shore of Lake 11725 is talus. Some big blocks. I found staying close to the lake the easiest. Hands are required for sure in some sections. This stretch should give you an idea about your comfort level.

From the northeast shore of Lake 11725, you have two ways to get to GP: (1) Royce Pass (via Honeymoon Lake and the Italy Pass trail), or (2) the notch between the uppermost Royce Lake and Lake 11430.

The Royce Pass route is all class 1 trail.

If you take the "notch" route you'll be on talus until you reach the Sierra Crest west of Peak 11479. From there it's all downhill to Lake 11430, mostly on steep granite slabs.

You could attempt the latter route and double back if you decide you're not comfortable.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
ccessna
Topix Novice

Post by ccessna »

Thank you - exactly what I was looking for. We'll give it a shot, and can always go the out of the way Royce Pass route if necessary. Thanks!!!
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

Went through the notch (AKA Croft Col or Granite Peak pass) on the 18th from Granite Park to Royce. Some snow but mostly avoidable. Fairly easy class 2 (not sure why Secor says class 2-3). I would highly recommend going this way. Upper 2 lakes still frozen. Area is simply beautiful. I have many more pics of area if you want to see something in particular.

Looking down from pass to upper Royce Lake
IMG_0593.JPG
Looking back down into Granite Park with Lake 11430 below.
IMG_0586.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ccessna
Topix Novice

Post by ccessna »

Great - thank you!! Those pics are very helpful! We'll be heading out tomorrow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Ivray,

Welcome to HST! It would be great if you could find some time to submit a TR, with you pictures, and an intro would be appreciated: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org