Trip Recommendation Wanted - 9 Day, Eastern Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Recommendation Wanted - 9 Day, Eastern Sierra

Post by Asolthane »

I am a level 4 backpacker comfortable with class 3 routes. Going with my friend, same level. Looking to push ourselves a bit, do something epic.

I am using the suggestions posted here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205 for requesting trip advice

Looking for a 9 day trip, Loop or partial loop, Eastern Sierras. (we only have one car, but if there is a shuttle trip that can be economically arranged I am open to that) Any layover days will be spent exploring, fishing, peak bagging. Dates 7/24 - 8/2

- Cross Country/Off Trail sections would be awesome.
- We would be down with big miles in order to have a bunch of layover days in some amazing secluded area with lots to explore on day trips, otherwise happy with shorter mileage 5-9/day.
- Fishing Tenkara.
- I love high basins with lots of lakes to explore.
- The less people we see, the better (plus this means less pressure on the fish!)

Places I have been in Sierras (I have loved all these trips)
- Lost/Sword Lake in Carson Iceburg Wilderness
- Kaiser Wilderness Loop past George Lake to small lakes above (campfire, college, jewel)
- North lake Loop: Lamark Col - Darwin Bench - McLure Meadows, Piute Canyuon - French Canyon Humphries Basin
- Loop to Madera Lake, Lillian and Chittendon Lakes East of Madera Peak
- Loop from Twin Lakes - Peeler Lake - Benson Lake - Matterhorn Creek, out Horse Canyon
- Gem Lake - Waugh Lake - Thousand Island Lake Loop
- Bear Lakes Basin loop in through granite park and out through French Canyon and Pine Creek Pass
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Re: Trip Recommendation Wanted - 9 Day, Eastern Sierra

Post by Asolthane »

Maybe Tehipite? That looks interesting.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

if I had nine days to spare, I would go out from crescent meadow through deadman canyon then up cloud canyon then over Colby pass. Play in the high lakes basins and come out on the High Sierra Trail.

Tehipite would be hot, peakless, lakeless unless you go over Granite Pass and cross the Kings river, and not a loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

At this late date reservations for more popular Inyo NF trailheads from eastside like Piute Pass are filled. Anyone here giving you advice ought to first look at the recreation.gov site as a number of trailheads are already full and when that happens they don't even show in the listing.

July 24 is a Friday. August 2 is Sunday 10 days later. There is always much less demand for Sierra National Forest permits. The Bear Creek and Mono Creek headwater basins are among the most scenic in the Sierra with lots of options for getting off trails and an abundance of fish. And the streams themselves are wonderful. Sierra NF is not on the above .gov web system and instead one has to send in permit requests via US mail. Couple of ideas where you will be able to dunk flies every day.

TE Reservoir, couple days leisurely going up Mono Creek. Then spend days at Pioneer, Fourth Recess, Hopkins basins.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.45336,-118.79971&z=14&t=T

Bear Diversion Dam, couple days leisurely going up Bear Creek. Then a few days at the South Fork basin lakes.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.31464,-118.84228&z=14&t=T

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015 ... 015-1.html
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

SSSdave wrote:At this late date reservations for more popular Inyo NF trailheads from eastside like Piute Pass are filled. Anyone here giving you advice ought to first look at the recreation.gov site as a number of trailheads are already full and when that happens they don't even show in the listing.
David - Isn't it possible to show up that morning and get a walkup permit? I know I have had luck with that in the past, but don't have too much experience with that because I have often booked further out.
SSSdave wrote:July 24 is a Friday. August 2 is Sunday 10 days later.
True, we were thinking we would hike out Saturday and drive home that night, leaving Sunday for readjusting to the world before starting work the next day, but might also stay one extra day

Your suggestions look great, thank you so much for your reply!
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

AlmostThere wrote:if I had nine days to spare, I would go out from crescent meadow through deadman canyon then up cloud canyon then over Colby pass. Play in the high lakes basins and come out on the High Sierra Trail.
unfortunately I am having a hard time figuring that route out. I am using caltopo, is there a better resource?

I found crescent meadow, is this a loop?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

So I haven't tried to figure out how many days for this but it's an area I'd like to see more of:
Start at Rock Creek
Mono Pass
Up into Pioneer basin and back out
Up Hopkins Creek and over Hopkins Pass
McGee Lakes/ McGee Pass
Tully Lake/Cotton Lake/Izaak Walton Lake (maybe Mace and/or Hortense as well)
Down to JMT and around or maybe over the ridge to Warrior/Squaw/Papoose
Wilbur May, Peter Pande & two little unnamed lakes in between
Anne Lake and over the saddle to Graveyard lakes
Graveyard meadow, Goodale Pass, Silver Pass, up Mon o Creek to Rosy Finch
Over ridge to Laurel Lake & Grinnell Lakes
down Laurel creek to Mono Creek
Quick side jaunts into 3rd & 4th recesses maybe
back out over Mono Pass
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Sure you can always try for a walk up permit. At Sierra NF that can be 24 hours in advance so if you drive up Friday that would likely work though having a reserved permit for a long trip has value in removing uncertainties. Note for Mono Creek you will need to contact Vermillion Valley Resort to find out what is going on with their ferry service given the reservoir was rather empty last fall. And the Bear Diversion Dam trailhead requires a 4WD lest one hike the first 2.5 miles down the ugly rocky road. Note the suggestion Paul made goes over Mono Pass where I noted the reserved quota was already full.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Are you set with the dates? If not, you could start 5 days earlier and come to the HST Meet-up in Kaweah Basin, there are numerous options you can do to combine with it, to make a 9 day trip. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12006
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Asolthane wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:if I had nine days to spare, I would go out from crescent meadow through deadman canyon then up cloud canyon then over Colby pass. Play in the high lakes basins and come out on the High Sierra Trail.
unfortunately I am having a hard time figuring that route out. I am using caltopo, is there a better resource?

I found crescent meadow, is this a loop?
The route starts in the Giant Forest in Sequoia NP. It's technically a lollipop.

One could also start at Wolverton, go out the Alta trail, and drop to the High Sierra Trail after a side trip to summit Alta - backtrack down to the Alta trail and to the cutoff that heads downhill to connect with the High SIerra Trail. If cross country is desirable, going up the Lakes trail to Pear and over the ridge to Moose Lake, then around the Tablelands to Pterodactyl Pass, across to Lonely Lake and over the ridge to traverse to the Elizabeth Pass trail to descend into Deadman, is another option.

Shuttles would be necessary to start at Giant Forest since you can't park there, but the free shuttle visits Lodgepole and Wolverton where you can leave a car.

A Lodgepole start could take you over Silliman, through the Belle Canyon area, around to hike south through Deadman. But, that stretch between Ranger Lake and Roaring River is unbearably hot and open due to the forest fire some years back that torched the trees. I think hiking in sand in open sun is about the hardest thing I've done... tho the open granite up high is hard on those of us that burn easily, at least there were nice breezes and no extra effort of sand walking, plus, you don't get so covered with dirt.