Suggestions for high(ish) elevation car camping on east side

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
coff20
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Suggestions for high(ish) elevation car camping on east

Post by coff20 »

What kind of vehicle do you have? Laurel Lake is at almost 10k, but you need a vehicle with good clearance to get there.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, maybe we should back up a bit. Is the purpose of your high car camping to acclimate? If you have two days to acclimate, and start from sea level, the "theory" says it is better not to go more than 5,000 feet in one day. I think it would depend on your history of acclimation. If you have previously felt fine at 10,000 feet on the first night, then OK. Otherwise, it may actually be better to camp at 6-7,000 feet, do a bit of easy day hiking, and on the second day move to 10,000 feet and do some easy day hiking. If the first night from sea level is at 10,000 feet, and as a result you cannot eat or sleep well, I think you have defeated the purpose. There also is the old climber's saying "climb high, sleep low". So maybe camp at 7,000 feet and do a slow paced day-hike from a higher trailhead (for example, stay at a campground around Mammoth Lakes at about 7,000 feet and drive up to George Lake and hike up to Duck Lake Pass and back, and then sleep again at 7000. ) Just a thought.
jdogrunner
Topix Novice

Post by jdogrunner »

I'm more concerned about the kids regarding the elevation change. They've gone from sea level and day hiked at 8k without any difficulty. We're starting at sea level then car camping one night at 2000', second night at about 6000', and hoping to car camp even higher on the third night. With good hydration and slow pace hoping to get over Piute Pass and into Humphrey's on the fourth night, but could opt for a bivy before the pass and go over the next day. Maybe I'm over-thinking all this and I should just camp wherever looks good!
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

Following up on WD's suggestion re acclimatizing, another 7000 foot option is the Lundy Canyon campground operated by Mono County. First come first served, no reservations, nice forested sites along Mill Creek, great day hikes upcanyon past numerous waterfalls.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I think your plan is fine and you have plenty of options. Much better than finding out you have a very uncomfortable/sick kid or worse, then have to bail. Ask me how I know :eek:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I think you are overthinking this. Your first night should be around 6k, just because if you're at sea level and coming from Oregon that would be logical. No one is going to get AMS at 6k I hope. Personally, I've hiked with a guy who does suffer from AMS, and my test was always to put him at the North Lake campground to see if the meds were working and if he was good to go. He didn't sleep well the first night at North Lake, and we made a run into town for some extra benadryl. We did go and had a couple of great 9 day trips up there for 2 seasons.

Long story short. You and yours might not be hit by AMS until you're half way up Piute pass. It hits people at different times and even at different stages of life. I would try and camp at North Lake and go for it the next day. If someone goes sick and the trip cannot be completed, turn around and exit. Hydration is good. I drink a ton of water as I drive to North Lake, given it's about a 6 hr drive for me, and I live at sea level.

Good luck on your trip.

Russ
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Hi jdogrunner,
Depending on the theory you pick, there are 10 campgrounds on the Tioga road between the Tioga Pass and Lee Vining. I've stayed at a few: Tioga Lake campground at 9700 ft. has 13 sites and just 1.3 miles from the pass, right on CA 120. Saddlebag Lake Campground is at 10,000 ft, 19 sites and off highway 120 by 2.5 miles. Maybe for you: Sawmill Campground on the Saddlebag Lake road, no piped water, so $16 (instead of $21)
And campgrounds continue down the road until the best name: Cattlegaurd Campground at 7300 ft. Lower Lee Vining Campground has 60 sites no piped water. There is dispersed camping around Mono Lake, around 6500 ft. too.
-mort