The best piece of gear I've bought this year

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The best piece of gear I've bought this year

Post by Jimr »

I've replaced absolutely everything. And I mean everything!!
Including this.
http://www.thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

For this summer I picked up a Suntactics scharger 8 which has double the power of the solar charger I have been using.

I also bought a Sony RX-1. Hopefully it's the ultimate trade off between carrying my big DSLR and a compact camera.

Other than that most of my gear choices will remain the same. I think this will be one of the first years where I use the same tent and same trekking poles across two trips.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

After trying the newest version of the New Balance MT1210 trail runners this year I found that they had changed the last and it was necessary to order a 4E width this time. . . but the insole I like didn't fit (what the!?!).

I started checking with my runner friends for possible solutions and after a quick diagnosis at Endurance House I found the Altra Olympus trail runners. They only come in a D width but they are made with a very large forefoot, extra stability and huge cushioning. I finally found my new trail shoe! I did 12 miles with 2,500 feet of altitude change on the local trails in comfort the first day, right out of the box with the standard Altra insole.

I also ordered a new pack for heavier loads this season. The Zpacks Arc Haul is an external frame pack made for comfortably carrying up to 40 lbs and only weighs 24 ozs. On 10 day trips this summer my starting pack weight is getting close to 30 lbs (10 lb base, 15 lbs of food, 1-2 liters of water) and my homemade Cuben packs max out at 20 - 25 lbs. The waiting list was 6 weeks when I ordered in May and it should arrive soon[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

bluewater, Please post a review of that Zpacks Arc Haul when you get some miles on it. Been looking at getting a new pack but need something that can deal with 30+ pounds. This looks like it could be it.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
dave54
Founding Member

power pack recharger

Post by dave54 »

I succumbed to dark side and started using the dreaded electronic gizmos. I still do not rely on them for navigation, more of a convenience and entertainment, nevertheless I still use them (mea culpa :( ). Specifically, my cell phone is my GPS, electronic compass, map, flashlight, tunes, audio books, et al. Using all those functions really sucks the battery down fast. So I bought a mini powerpack to recharge the phone while out and about (plugging into a current bush really does not work... I know, bad pun...). it will recharge the phone about three times.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-t5200-p ... Id=9480131
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So far this summer I have busted out the seams and poked holes in three pair of pants. I spent half a day on the internet looking for replacements, was disappointed in what is offered and gasped at the prices, then got out the sewing machine and repaired everything. When will manufacturers make women's hiking pants that are functional, instead of fashionable. :(

I bought three Lands End 100-Polartec fleece front zips for $15 each on Christmas sales. I just love them! Very light and cozy.

Shoes, shoes -- Ugh!! Another pair of shoes (merrels) with holes after only three trips. Seems like all I can find is comfortable and cheaply made (fall apart) or sturdy and uncomfortable.

Bluewater--Please do review the Z-packs bigger pack! It looks like just what I need, but would like to get opinions from someone who really used it. My trusty GoLite Quest bit the dust this last trip. Right now I am holding out on a new pack because I just cannot find something I want. I am limping along on my old Kelty for heavy loads and a new (but not large enough for a bear can) pack for short trips.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I've really only bought one piece of gear this year, but it's been a nice addition: a silver Euroschirm Light Trek umbrella. I got it to provide shade on open, sunny terrain during midday. I carry trekking poles but don't use them much so my hands are normally free to carry an umbrella. What I've ended up using it for most is hiking during afternoon showers. I don't end up sweating inside my rain jacket and I can see and hear better because my head is not inside a hood. It's an additional piece of gear to carry and I'm not real keen on that, but it's been surprisingly nice to have.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Wandering Daisy wrote:

Bluewater--Please do review the Z-packs bigger pack! It looks like just what I need, but would like to get opinions from someone who really used it. My trusty GoLite Quest bit the dust this last trip. Right now I am holding out on a new pack because I just cannot find something I want. I am limping along on my old Kelty for heavy loads and a new (but not large enough for a bear can) pack for short trips.
Why is it that everything falls apart at once? pants, shirt, boots, and rain gear all got replaced this year. To top it off I was gifted the cost of an Artic Haul that should arrive in time for my 10 day High Sierra Trail trip at the end of the month. I had PM'd Bluewater and he said that with 27-30lb. it didn't feel that heavy (his is used to 20lb.). He did mention that one of the mesh pockets got a rip in it. If he doesn't post a report, I'll post one up when I get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a pretty informative thread on the ZPack Arc: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... _id=101118 :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Thanks Maverick, That is one of the threads that I based my decision on. We'll see how the round stays work out.