TR: Emigrant Wilderness, Gem Lake (5/23 - 5/25 2015)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pakoR
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by pakoR »

Hello. I went up to Gem Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness over the Memorial Day weekend.
Day 01 - 9 miles to Gem Lake
Day 02 - 5 mies RT day hike to Long Lake
Day 03 - 9 miles to the TH

Car camped at the Crabtree TH on Friday night to get an early morning start on Saturday. The rain was slow but steady pretty much from Friday evening until Saturday afternoon when we were on the trail. On Saturday night the sky opened up a bit, and there was some starlight and moonlight lighting up the ground. Temps through the day might have been in the 50s, and low 40s at night. Along the way, we passed Camp Lake, Lilypad Lake, Piute Meadow, and Piute Lake. All of the creeks were flowing steadily and most crossings were at least knee-deep. Thanks to the recent storms most likely.

On Sunday we day hiked up to Long Lake, staying on the marked trail up to Deer Lake. From there up to Long Lake, we followed the creek up to Long Lake. There is no official trail, but the terrain is fairly easy to travel on, and there were many footpaths indicating previous traffic to the lake. Beautiful panoramic views along the way. Temps were in the 60s with clear skies and sunny.

On Sunday we headed down to Buck Meadow Creek. Crossing Cherry Creek at the trail was a bit more challenging than the other creeks on Saturday. The water flow was fast and furious, and the water was very cold at 10am. We continued on to Grouse Lake which from a distance looked like a pond covered in lilypads, and were expecting clouds of mosquitoes. But when we reached the lake, and were able to walk to an open area on the shore, it wasn't that bad. There were a few bugs but nothing irritating. We found a spot along the shore clear of lilypads and even jumped into the lake for a quick clean refresher moment. Then, continued up the hill to Crabtree TH.

This was my first time in this area, and I must say I was impressed by the views. I think I'm fortunate I went at this time of the year, because I get the feeling that later year, it would either have been dry with no water in the creeks except the lakes, and/or full of mosquitoes wherever there used to be running water.

Enjoy the photos below, and here is the complete set.

Crabtree TH

Dark-eyed junco, Oregon variety

Piute Meadow down in the distance

Piute Meadow

Gem Lake

Jewelry Lake

Deer Lake

Long Lake

Green stink bug

Sierra granite

Where Cherry Creek meets Buck Meadow Creek

Cherry Creek

Canyon west of Groundhog Meadow

Grouse Lake
Last edited by pakoR on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Emigrant Wilderness, Gem Lake

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pretty pictures Pako. Not to much wildflowers, maybe a little early.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Emigrant Wilderness, Gem Lake

Post by kpeter »

Brings back some happy memories! Thank you! When I was last at the little dam at Long Lake I saw a huge rainbow lurking there. Any signs of fish in Long Lake this trip?
pakoR
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: Emigrant Wilderness, Gem Lake (5/23 - 5/25 2015)

Post by pakoR »

Thanks for the comments.

Kpeter:
I didn't notice any fish at Long Lake, but we were there in the middle of the day. At Gem Lake though, there lots of fish feeding on flies in the evenings. You could see 1 popping up every 5 seconds for a good couple of hours.

Maverick:
There actually were wildflowers. Here are some of the ones I photographed.

Some variety of lupine?

Western wallflower (Erysimum capitatum)

Mountain pride (Penstemon newberryi)

Common dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)

Water plantain buttercup (Ranunculus alismifolius)
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Great report and photos! this is one of our favorite areas...and there are so many places to explore.

Sounds like you had a great trip...and the bugs weren't too bad!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Nice, thanks for posting the additional wildflower photo's Pako! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks for the TR. I missed the opportunity to get out there before the skeeters. Hopefully I'll get out there in the fall.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
squirrel
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by squirrel »

Nice pictures, pako! They really put my cell phone shots to shame ;)

I'm hoping to head back here to take my girlfriend on her first Sierra backpacking trip in August. Hopefully the mosquitoes will have had their fill by then.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

August will. be bug free but many of the small streams will be dry. There will still do plenty of water in the lakes though and there are plenty of those.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.