TR: Brainerd Lake 6/21 > 6/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Brainerd Lake 6/21 > 6/22

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Although I have not used it, there evidently is bug repellant for animals - they use it on horses, more for flies than mosquitoes. You could try to find some at a feed store. Or ask your vet if there is something that would work.

My poor dog got swarmed and blood-sucked by black flies last year in Wyoming. Since she as black thick long fur, and black flies are black, we were not even aware that there were armies of black flies crawling on her skin until it was too late. She was actually acting sick so we came out a day early. Once we got out of the flies, she was OK and the bites healed up quickly.

There were also mosquitoes. We put a head net on her but that did not last long. If you are thinking of a head net, you may have to try it at home and get Callie accustomed to it.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Brainerd Lake 6/21 > 6/22

Post by schmalz »

My current technique for Callie is to just avoid the mosquito season. I've gotten better at that in the last couple of years and we haven't had any incidents since this trip. I hate dealing with bugs too so I don't consider myself to be sacrificing much. I'll be doing most of my Sierra trips with my young son soon, so it's good training for that.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;