Ascending Glacier Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ascending Glacier Pass

Post by Ska-T »

In the recent thread "A few questions about Mineral King" a route was shown of a way up to Glacier Pass from over by Monarch Lakes. That route is essentially the dotted black trail on the attached map.

I've descended to Mineral King from Glacier Pass a couple of times and remember roughly coming down the path drawn in red on the attached map. For some of that descent there was an old trail that had not been maintained in decades.

If one were to ascend Glacier Pass would that be a good way to do it? Seems unnecessarily roundabout to go over to Monarch. Thanks for the opinions.

-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Ascending Glacier Pass

Post by oldranger »

Ska-t

Your red line is the path I followed to get to Glacier Pass. Piece of cake!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

As I recall, the "new trail" adds about a mile or so to get to the ridge top. Obviously the new trail makes the ascent more of a walk in the park rather than a strenuous "pick and choose" your way to the top. They both have virtues, just depends what you're looking for.

The "old trail" was abandoned in 1971 or thereabouts. It's been quite a while since I've looked at an old map of the area, but I seem to recall it generally hugged the (hikers) left side of the canyon wall on the way up. I suspect lots of people thinking they have found part of the old trail are simply finding use trails or deer trails.....anything that shows a path of least resistance.

Personally, the last time I ascended directly to Glacier Pass the entire valley was covered in snow, so it was an easy and direct ascent.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

oldranger wrote:Your red line is the path I followed to get to Glacier Pass. Piece of cake!
Thanks for the confirmation, Mike.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Shawn wrote:The "old trail" was abandoned in 1971 or thereabouts. It's been quite a while since I've looked at an old map of the area, but I seem to recall it generally hugged the (hikers) left side of the canyon wall on the way up.
Thanks for the recollection, Shawn. That's where I saw the old trail (back in the mid 1990's). It was an obvious trail, 4 to 5 ft wide and well constructed out of rocks. It was not a game trail or use trail.
-Scott
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Was there summer 2013. We climbed up directly east from Groundhog Meadow at 8850 instead of taking the old trail that circles around that amphitheater. That is because parts of that old route above 9000 are partly covered in rockslides though would expect not a few people still use that route and pick their way through. The direct route was moderately unpleasant because of patches of dense brush. Once reaching 9300 there is an old use trail going up to the meadow below Lower Monarch. We went that way instead of towards Glacier Pass because the latter's smaller stream was already dry. As for the maintained trail, it is at least a mile longer than the topo shows because the trail is totally bogus as drawn. Far more long switchbacks and then is this long ridiculous loop off towards the Chihuahua Mine. Someone with a GPS ought to track the real trail. That said, from Monarch Lake I would choose the maintained horse trail over the old trail for descending because there is less step down pounding to the feet.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

The red line is way I have always gone up and from Glacier Pass.

Texan
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

That is the route secor describes.Has anyone been over glacier pass this year? I imagine there is still snow up top. How hard is it to get to spring lake in one day
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Its straight up for about 4 miles to the top of the pass. You can get the Spring Lake in about 6-7 hours if your in good shape and your pack is light. If you go you have to go up to Cyclamen Lake. Its the next lake up from Spring Lake.

Texan
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

The old trail is shown on this map: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.45785 ... =14&b=1930
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.