Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Catalyst
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Catalyst »

Hi new member here - Jeff. I've been backpacking since I was young as a scout but really got into it again about 6 years ago after I graduated law school. That was my first trip in a lot of years. I went from Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney with a 55 lb. pack. Yikes that was heavy! I'm now a lightweight backpacker and enjoy my trips much more. I have young kids so I usually only get 1-2 multi day trips in the Sierra over the summer. The rest is limited to overnighters in Southern California. I enjoy fishing and photography on my trips. Usually I invite friends along but end up going solo. I have flaky friends. :) I have a Rae Lakes trip planned for Labor Day weekend I'm looking forward to.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you Jeff for taking the time to write up an intro, much appreciated. :)
Do you practice, if yes, what law?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Catalyst
Topix Newbie

Post by Catalyst »

maverick wrote:Thank you Jeff for taking the time to write up an intro, much appreciated. :)
Do you practice, if yes, what law?
Didn't much care for law. I work in the telecom business now doing site acquisition and permitting of wireless sites.
gardel va
Topix Novice

Post by gardel va »

I live in Virginia, but will be out in Tahoe for a family event in July, and decided to tack on a 4-day trip into the Desolation Wilderness with an old friend.

This will be the first time I've been backpacking west of West Virginia, so I've been looking for all the information I can find to be ready. This site seems to have a good mix of information.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Gardel Va,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your TR, and seeing you photo's, from your first trip to the Sierra. :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
leony
Topix Novice

Post by leony »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Leon. I am a bay area resident. I was hiking and fishing with my wife mostly in desolation wilderness for a few years circa 2003-2006. We caught some nice browns and brookies back then. Then I caught a bug which is freediving and spearfishing :D . The past 10 years I dove and spearfished in the Pacific Ocean up and down the California coast and into Mexico. That hobby is finally wearing off, as we are getting back to hike the beautiful Sierras again. Whether being under water or above, I love the beautiful sceneries first and foremost, catching some fish is always icing on the cake. And if the fish is too pretty, I will have to let it go to produce more of them.
Look forward to join discussions with you backcountry explorers! Thanks!

Leon
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Leon for the intro, looking forward to reading your TR's from the Sierra in the future. :)

squirrel
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by squirrel »

Hi all,

Name's Mike. I am pretty unfamiliar with this board; I came looking for mosquito reports and felt I should make an account to contribute one from my trip this past weekend. I'm a grad student living in the South SF Bay area. I became interested in backpacking after a three month bike tour when I moved out here from the east coast to start grad school 5 years ago. Only went on my first trip about two years ago. I have since led a friend and a sister on two short trips out of Carson Pass, tagged along on a biological sampling trip in Yosemite, and this past weekend did a solo 3 day/32 miler in Emigrant Wilderness. That's the full extent of my Sierra backpacking but I'm hoping to expand soon and it seems like this board will be a great resource. Currently I'm planning for the Big SEKI loop (~150 miles) for the first week of September.
jdogrunner
Topix Novice

Post by jdogrunner »

I'm new to the forum. Long-time climber, alpinist, and backpacker who took a decade hiatus from the mountains to start a career and raise a few kids. In my 20's I dirt-bagged as a climber and worked 5 seasons for Pacific Crest Outward Bound, based out of the old Sierra Summit ski area. Spent lots of time climbing, summiting, and walking everywhere between SEKI and Yosemite. I currently live in the North Cascades and grew up in Colorado, but no mountain range has seduced me the way the Sierra has! My current goal is to complete the JMT in 2016 with my 10 and 12 year old children.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the intro! Your September trip sounds really fun, looking forward to reading about it, and any other trips you do in-between. :) What type of biological sampling if I may ask?